Whats the BEST OIL - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Whats the BEST OIL within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; subaru told me to wait until around 13k to change to synthetic. I did mine at 10k because 13 is ...

subaru told me to wait until around 13k to change to synthetic. I did mine at 10k because 13 is pretty ridiculous

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Orig. posted by EIonJess.

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I sent an email to Subaru at mysubaru.com concerning the use of synthetic oil. Here is the response below. Take for what it's worth.

Thank you for contacting the Subaru Web site, and congratulations on the purchase of your '02 Impreza WRX! We hope that you are enjoying this exciting model!

As for synthetic oil, this is your decision. Our Technical Services Department advised that if you do decide to use synthetic oil, that you always use it because your engine will become accustomed to it. The same goes if you decide to use 'regular' oil.

We recommend that you first change the oil in your WRX at 3,000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first. We STRONGLY recommend that you at least wait until the break-in period of 1,000 miles is surpassed.

The break-in period of the engine requires that a given amount of friction exists between components. The piston rings need to rub against the cylinder wall to break-in or finely tune the machine mating between the two metal parts. To properly seat all mechanical components, a certain amount of friction is required between the metal parts. Since synthetic oil has a lower friction rating than regular oil, we recommend that Subaru owners wait until after the 1,000 mile break-in period to switch to synthetic engine oil.

Synthetic engine oils can be used in our engines if the user follows the engine oil recommendations prescribed in the Owner's Manual. Subaru has not tested the compatibility of all synthetic oils with engine seals, but the petroleum industry does adhere to standards for the refining process which meet Subaru requirements. Subaru does not guarantee the performance of any brand of any engine oil.

Engine Oil Guidelines: - only use engine oil that meets or exceeds the API classification designated in the Owner's Manual for the vehicle - only use engine oil that meets the VISCOSITY requirements for the ambient temperatures under which the vehicle will be operated as outlined in the Owner's Manual - THE ENGINE OIL MUST BE CHANGED AT THE INTERVALS SPECIFIED IN THE WARRANTY AND MAINTENANCE BOOKLET FOR THE VEHICLE. SOME SYNTHETIC OIL REFINERS RECOMMEND EXTENDED OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. SUBARU DOES NOT RECOMMEND ANY DEVIATION FROM THE SPECIFIED INTERVALS IN THE OWNER'S MANUAL.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....I was just going by this quote I found in a search..You get different answers from different dealers, though.

Mobil 1 syn. & sometimes I use olive oil to keep the Cholesterol lower

jd
    "It only takes a moment to change your attitude, & at that moment it will change your life."

Going to Royal Purple or Mobile but maybe peanut oil.
    2004 STi

Motul racing oil is derived from coconut oil. No ****

100% ester

AMSOIL #1 no doubt about it
    Mobil 1 is 2nd
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Mobil 1 10w30 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter. Seems to work for me.
    2004 Subaru WRX Sti - Java Black Pearl/Silver wheels.

-Bone stock

so you guy using the Mobil1 are you useing the 10W 30

Lately Ive been using Castrol TWS motorsport 10w-60

I also use AMSoil

3 months later and still not up to 3,000 miles, get an oil change...that is just something the oil companys say to make money.

Amsoil ATM 10w30 with Amsoil SDF-20 Oil Filter. I leave this oil in anywhere between 6500 and 9k miles. I have the oil analyzed approx. every 20-25k miles and have not had 1 bad report. As a matter of fact the analysis came back telling me I could continue using the oil and to sample at the next interval.

This is by far the best oil on the market. It is more money then others but you get what you pay for.

Amsoil is definitely one of the best synthetic oils on the market, but you also can't go wrong with other high-end oils like Motul and Redline.

I just changed my 2004 WRX' oil last week, using Amsoil 5W-30 synthetic (product code ASL) plus an OEM Subaru oil filter. I plan to change it 6 months from now.

Mobil 1 is great, but I noticed I would burn a little more oil than when I use Castrol syntec.
    MY MODS
    *GET YOUR CLUBWRX KEYRING*
    http://clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54791&highlight=keychai n

Originally posted by BrandonWRX
    Mobil 1 is great, but I noticed I would burn a little more oil than when I use Castrol syntec.
    Me too. Mobil 1 seems to burn faster. And I think more in the hot climate.

jd
    "It only takes a moment to change your attitude, & at that moment it will change your life."

I Support ClubWRX
    <-- Just switched to M1 5W-30 at about 6,000 miles. So far I love it. The car is noticeably smoother and quieter...very nice. Luckily the hot months are starting to wind down (sort of) so hopefully I won't burn too much oil off. Next summer I'll be doing 5W-40 to deal with the horrendous heat we have here.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast