How often do you change your gear oil

This is a discussion on How often do you change your gear oil within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The manual recommends about 15,000 miles for the tranny and rear diff. for hard driving. I waited until I had ...

How often do you change your transmission oil?

The manual recommends about 15,000 miles for the tranny and rear diff. for hard driving. I waited until I had 25,000 miles before changing mine with Mibil 1. I'm guessing with syn. oil, I can go at least 30,000 miles until the next change. Good idea? How often do you change yours?
    Last edited by Dave; 07-10-2004 at 06:07 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I just feel 15,000 miles is too short.

I change mine with the regular scheduled maintainence, but will probably Precision change it sooner if I feel like giving her some new fluid
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

I changed my tranny fluid after an intial 10K, well below the recommended break in period. I was having severe grinding and shift problems but that was resolved after the fluid exchange. I just checked the fluid yesterday and it still looks brand new. I'm using Redline's Full Synthetic MT-90 and havn't had a problem. I currently have 51K miles and I'm not planning to change it until the major tuneup @60K.

-alex

ClubWRX.net Vendor JnJassociates's Avatar
    If you do any type of hard driving, autox or drag. You should change it out at least twice a year depending on mileage. That may seem extreme to some. However, remember there is no filter in our manual trannies. You want to get all the junk out so it isn't floating around in there... Just an opinion. I rather be safe than sorry.