Synthetic EVERYTHING!? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Synthetic EVERYTHING!? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; what I'd recomend is all heresay at this point as I haven't done it. Use that thread as a reference ...

what I'd recomend is all heresay at this point as I haven't done it. Use that thread as a reference and make your choice, plenty of options given.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well, I bought 1 quart of the GM Syncromesh today, as I am dropping off my car tomorrow morning to have it serviced. I am just going to have them put in their own 2.7 quarts of regular fluid, and then add the 1 quart of Syncromesh. I hope it does a good job!! I am not having the tranny problems that some are having, but it still will be nice to know that I am saving my syncros!! I will let everyone know how it turns out once I have it in the car. Will the dealer mind that I bring in this one quart of GM fluid?? I wouldnt think so, but you never know.
    Later!

question is - would you ever know if they really put that 1 quart in?

BTW - couple thousand miles later - and I really can't tell a hint of difference between the stock dino and the mobil 1 gear oil.

But my new BFgoodrich G-force tires make a BIG difference over the stock Bridgestones (that went bald after 40k miles)

If you read the thread by Koji a ways up, it will tell you about the "cocktail" mix of the GM Syncromesh and the regular fluid. There has been talk that all synthetic may be too slippery for the syncros, and that the GM stuff works wonders. I payed $10.61 for the bottle after tax, so the stuff isnt cheap. From what I have read from the posts before, you cant really tell the difference between stock and all synthetic, but the GM Syncromesh is different. I will just ask for the bottle back when I pick the car up, so I will know if the fluid is gone or not. Also, I want to get new tires too before next winter. I am leaning towards the Conti Extreme Contacts, since I am in a somewhat snowy climate. They are supposed to be some good all weather performance tires from what I hear.

Well, you might not notice the difference between synthetic and regular if you change it early, but I sure did as soon as I got the royal purple put in, and even better is the redline NS.
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

The cocktail is in!

Wow. Just wow. I did something I never thought I would do in my car today, I downshifted to first at 25mph with just a little throttle blip and NO GRINDING.

GM Synchromesh is teh win!

So I've had my car back about a week now since I got the "cocktail" put in the car, and I do have to say that it works pretty well. I tried to downshift at 25 and it went into gear no problem. I havent had some of the tranny problems as some people, but sometimes it would be hard to get into reverse, but I have had no problems yet getting into reverse after the mix.... pleased so far!!

I went to Advance Auto parts today to get some oil and tranny fluid... They had the Penzoil Synchromesh, but they didn't have any Valvoline 75w-90. All they had was Valvoline "Durablend" 80w-90, and Mobil1 synthetic 75w-90. I didn't really want to use either one because, from what I've read, the Valvoline 75w-90 dino is the best stuff to use with the Synchromesh.

So, here's my question:
    My car only has a little over 7,000 miles on it. Would it be okay for me to just drain a quart of what's in there (stock/factory fluid), and replace it with one quart of Synchromesh, or should I wait until I change it all?

-Lee

Very helpful information...I'm nearing my 30,000 service and will be using Royal Purple for the tranny.
    Dom
    03 Platinum Silver WRX

Thumbs up

I first tried Royal Purple motor oil, because I was told I would see a boost in performance according to Pete Mastro at Mastro Subaru in Tampa, FL. My two cents about Royal Purple: all good, and I dyno'd an extra 4hp. So when I had my rex serviced @ 48K miles, I had all my lubricating fluids changed to Royal Purple.

Royal Purple is not cheap though, and it can be hard to find. But if you go to www.rpmoil.com, you can order it for way cheaper than buying it from a shop, and they'll ship it for free in the continental US. Example: my first change of oil was $14/quart! But online, you can get the same oil for $5/quart. Check it out, and don't forget the oil filter, because it would be a crime to push that hi-qual oil through some b.s. filter. Go for a K&N, baby. For the WRX, the K&N part# is HP-1008.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.