Synthetic EVERYTHING!? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Synthetic EVERYTHING!? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; if you can't find Royal Purple, see if you can find Redline or AMS...

if you can't find Royal Purple, see if you can find Redline or AMS

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Couldn't find anything but valvoline and Mobil 1. I figure I'm using Mobil 1 oil - why not give their gearoil a shot?

yep..thats the stuff

I am getting my 30,000 mile service done next week (33,600), and I asked the dealer if I could bring in my own tranny fluid and they said sure, but the guy told me I would need to bring about 8 quarts! From what I have been reading, it doesnt sound like I need that much. Why did he tell me to bring so much? I have a 5spd also..... Any help would be great!!! Thanks!

8 quarts is crazy. Does the guy need some extra for his own car!?

Even if he's doing the tranny and the dif, you don't need 8 quarts. The tranny is 3.7 quarts, the diff is over 1 but I forget how much...I'll go have a look at my manual.

like koji said...no way do you need 8 quarts....trans takes 3.8, and the rear diff takes .8

All I could find at the store was Mobil 1, 75W-90 GL-5 rated.
    Has anyone heard if this stuff is decent? I am getting my service done Thursday, so I dont think I have time to order anything else and have it shipped to me before I take it in. I use Mobil 1 oil, which I like, so I wouldnt think their gear oil would suck.
    Anyone have any comments or suggestions? Otherwise I will be picking up the Mobil 1 gear oil in a day or two!!
    Thanks!!

Here's a link to a good thread on i-club about tranny fluid. I'm going to try the "cocktail" described in this thread next week. I'm planning to use half GM Syncromesh and Half Valvoline regular dino 80w-90.

http://www.i-club.com/forums/archive.../t-57291.html.

I think the problem with using all synth in the tranny is that it's too slick to let the synchro's work as intended. I'm planning on using the mobil one (due to avaliability) in my rear diff though.

I read through the link and it sounds like that syncromesh is the way to go. I am going to have to find some here in town and bring along a quart or two when I get the car serviced! Should I still have to buy some regular fluid, or have the dealer use their fluid and then combine the Syncromesh??

If you're going to bother to bring your own, why not bring everything? I'm sure they've got regular dyno 80W90 though. You shouldn't have any trouble finding the synchromesh stuff at nearly any GM dealership. I didn't.

Also, how much are they charging you to do the swap? It reeks, but it's not terribly difficult to do on your own. Money saved is money for mods...

Registered User Weeeeeeeeeeeeee's Avatar
    i switched to mobil 1 5w-30 at 2k miles and flushed the entire tranny with mobil 1 atf at 3k miles. (i got an auto)
    My Mods
    Dyno 12/18/04: 201 WHP / 198 WTQ

I am having the 30,000 mile service done by the dealership. What it all includes, I dont remember, but the total cost is around $300 I think. I could do half of the stuff on my own, but I am new to the area and dont have any of the resources to do so, so I am having the dealership do it. Plus, it will be on record in case I ever decide to sell it. Other than the GM stuff, the Pennzoil is the same thing, but cheaper? Can that be found at the local store (AutoZone, Advance Auto)?

yeah, the pennzoil is the same stuff. Good luck finding it though, I've had a hell of a time trying to find it in Seattle. Not much Pennzoil gets sold around here I guess. I even called an oil wholesaler who distributes to stores around here and they'd never heard of the stuff. I had to go the GM route but it wasn't for lack of trying.

Would you suggest 1 bottle syncromesh to 3 bottles regular, or 2 syncro, 2 regular? If they dont have it in Seattle, they probably wont have it where I'm at, so I might just go to the local GM dealer and pey the extra couple of bucks then.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast