Couple of oil questions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Couple of oil questions within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm planning on switching over to Mobile 1 synthetic with Wix or Purelator filter this weekend, but have a couple ...

Couple of oil questions

I'm planning on switching over to Mobile 1 synthetic with Wix or Purelator filter this weekend, but have a couple of questions.

Here in Iowa, the winters gets pretty cold and the summer, while not extremely hot in temperature, is quite humid. What viscoscity do you guys recommend? I was thinking 0w-40.

Is it ok to switch viscoscity based on season? ie, use 'thicker' oil for the summers, and 'thinner' oils for the winter? Or should I pick one and stick with that?

Lastly, the dealership has been handling the oil changes. I got it done at 1000, and 3000 miles, and the car is just over 5000 right now. Is this too early to switch to a synthetic?

TIA!

Oh...when torquing the drain bolt back on, is there a specific torque or does everyone tighten by 'feel?'

Last edited by burgerboy; 06-12-2004 at 08:07 AM.
    J
    2004 WRX PSM Wagon
    Mesh hood scoop and grille

2005 Kawasaki Ti 636

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

p1ssed! :mad:

Due to a storm moving in, I was rushing to get everything done.

Couple of things:

If I didn't losen the filler cap while the oil is draining, will that cause any problems? I tightened the drain plug before changing out the filter, so there were never 2 openings for draining. Will this cause extra oil to not be drained? Which brings me to my next question.

Also, after filling the oil, best guess-ti-mation by the back of the Mobile1 jug, which looked to have half a quart left (4.5 qt in the car), I ran the car for 5 min. and let it sit for 5 min. Checking the dipstick has the oil level right at the full mark. Is this cause for concern? Do I need to drain some out?

Why did I rush???
    J
    2004 WRX PSM Wagon
    Mesh hood scoop and grille

2005 Kawasaki Ti 636

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.