radiator question?

This is a discussion on radiator question? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just curious. I heard on another forum(nasioc) that if you use a STi radiator cap on a stock wrx radiator ...

radiator question?

Just curious. I heard on another forum(nasioc) that if you use a STi radiator cap on a stock wrx radiator that it shortens the radiator's life and can cause problems with the core. Should I be worried or is this BS?
    NewEngland F4
    Pics, mods and other rides http://www.cardomain.com/ride/383213/1
    03 VF43'd WRX
    02 CBR 954RR
    87 Transam GTA

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'll soon be ordering the Crucial Racing one from Infinite-performance. Get that one if you get any at all.

anyone else?
    NewEngland F4
    03 VF43'd WRX
    02 CBR 954RR
    87 Transam GTA

It was covered here Crucial Racing System 1.4 Bar Radiator Cap . Read Jim's (PPM) post about the bad batch of radiators.

Increased radiator pressure

I wouldn't worry about the radiator. There were a rash of reports of leaking radiators when the USDM WRX first came out, not all of them even had upgraded radiator pressure caps. I can't recall any "currrent" reports of that in quite a long time.

Look at it this way, if the radiator fails, it was probably bad anyway. Get it dealt with under warrantee.

I will be installing one as soon as it arrives in the mail, (thanks for the quick response there MisterX )

Moderate increases in radiator operating pressure has been a common performance modification for decades. Most radiator systems have significant reserve designed into them and as long as you don't go off the deep end with the increase in pressure you should have no problems. I've done it on several cars and never had a problem with a radiator, and many of these were 20 year old muscle cars.

The increased pressure will raise the boiling point of the coolant and suppress hotspot boiling under heavy load, and help prevent water pump cavitation during rapid rpm changes etc.

The increase in pressure with these caps should be well within the tolerance range of a healthy cooling system.

Larry
    13.239@102.85 -- 5800 ft altitude
    on the stock TD04L-13T turbo

Thanks for the info man. Very well put.
    NewEngland F4
    03 VF43'd WRX
    02 CBR 954RR
    87 Transam GTA