CEL only at high speed?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on CEL only at high speed? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi everyone. I've really enjoyed reading all the info here at clubwrx and would appreciate some more info if anybody ...

Rez

CEL only at high speed?

Hi everyone.

I've really enjoyed reading all the info here at clubwrx and would appreciate some more info if anybody has any idea about this one.

I've had my 02 WRX for about a month now it has 46K on the odo and is stock. (At least I've never done anything to it). The car runs great and doesn't seem to be having any driveability issues.
    The first time I take it up to 105MPH- the CEL comes on. Having the car such a short time I take it back to place where I bought it from (should have just gone staight to Subaru) The tech pulls the code and it is P1131- but, get this ,the service writer comes back and says "whatever it is it's not under warranty because the code was thrown at over a 100 MPH" When I ask why is that? he says " these cars arent meant to go that fast" OMG , my reply was "yeah, right". So after some complaining they cleared the code and said it might need a new ECU if the same code comes on again. I don't really want to believe them because they are a used dealer and I don't think they have the resources to know.
    Needless to say I'm done going there. So I drive around for a week before vacation with no problems never going over a 100. But not able to recreate the CEL.

Until, I take a road trip to L.A and I have to see if this code will come up again- so up to 100 , no CEL, no CEL, until 125MPH the CEL came on. While down in LA I have the codes scanned and cleared at an Autozone or similar store. Both P1131. I had to have them cleared because i'm afraid that even if it was covered under some emissions warranty the at SOA won't cover it at that speed. After a few gas stops the was the CEL light would turn off. And the only time I've been able to get the P1131 code under a hundred was going uphill in 4th at about 80 MPH. Like I said the light goes off after a few cycles and it's not going into limp home mode or anything like that.

The research I've done tells me that it's the front 02 sensor short circuit or something like that-a tech friend of mine used some of his resources at work at said that it was probablly just an emissions parameter being to sensitive. And the only similar stories I've read here had to do with gutted up-pipes. I don't count this out because i'm the second owner, but from inspecting the car it doesnt look like tools have been on anything ( it still has the whit toothpaste and blue dye intact on the threads).

So I'm getting a P1131 when I drive fast. The first time it came on at 100, the second time at 125, did it have to adapt because it never had been driven that fast? I don't know. I'm anxious to hear some opinions on this because I've just ordered the ecu , and the ECU won't accept a reflash if there is something mechanicly wrong with the ECU. What do I think is wrong? I think this is an 02 California car and that the cars ecu was tuned to meet emissions and when it read slightly out of spec it throws this code. Do you think this ecu is going to work? Thanks in advance.

Rez
    Last edited by Rez; 06-13-2004 at 11:41 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

P1131: O2 Sensor Circuit (Short) Bank 1 Sensor 1
    This is nothing to do with emissions. This is either a bad sensor or you have exposed wiring somewhere on the front O2 sensor that is shorting to the body.

It is funny that it only happens at speed. May just be vibrating and shorting on something.

Originally posted by mick_the_ginge
    This is nothing to do with emissions. This is either a bad sensor or you have exposed wiring somewhere on the front O2 sensor that is shorting to the body.

It is funny that it only happens at speed. May just be vibrating and shorting on something.
    +1

You should get this fixed (by a Subaru dealership) before trying to marry the AccessPort.

Rez
    That sounds like solid advice thanks a lot . I appreciate it. I guess I have 6-8 weeks to get it fixed.

Try checking your Cam Sensor. I found my car would throw a CEL abovge a 100 or above 6000 RPM's. Found out the CAM sensor was a little dirty, and was causing missfires. Once I changed that all those nasty blinking cells were gone.

Cheers,
    Bill Knose
    I-Speed USA

Rez

Follow up.

Just to follow up on this:

Received AP and was very weary of installing it without fixing whatever was causing p1131. Since I had no diveablility problems- I married it to my 02 WRX without problems.
    Results were as expected. No CELs but I didn't push it to the speed that tripped the cel. The only problem that I found was terrible hwy gas mileage. After some more research I found that poor gas mileage can also be attrubuted to a faulty front 02 sensor. After repalcing frontt oxygen sensor I get no high speed CEL and my hwy gas mileage has gone up 20+ miles. Been happy with AP , but I have access to VIshnu and AP only will accomodate up to VF34 (originally my plan)but after more consideration I will problablly go a different route.

Thanks everybody for your input.
    Darn it, Bill, I wish I would have found you before you moved to SoCal.

Gonna resurrect this 2+ year old post as I have the same code ( ain't the search function cool?!? ).
    Had the P1131 code come up on a scan today had it cleared but popped up again. I'll try driving around tomorrow to check else replace the front sensor.
    Anybody else seen this? BTW which side is considered Bank1?
    Last edited by ktmrider; 09-03-2006 at 08:19 PM.
    2005 Legacy GT - stock for now
    1991 Galant VR4 - Sold
    2002 WRX Wagon - Sold

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmrider
    Gonna resurrect this 2+ year old post as I have the same code ( ain't the search function cool?!? ).
    Had the P1131 code come up on a scan today had it cleared but popped up again. I'll try driving around tomorrow to check else replace the front sensor.
    Anybody else seen this? BTW which side is considered Bank1?
    http://cobbtuning.com/wrx/accessport.html

I have had no CELs (other than a few fuel cap P0457s) since I started using this device. I may have gone over 120 on occasion.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 09-03-2006 at 08:25 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX
    http://cobbtuning.com/wrx/accessport.html

I have had no CELs (other than a few fuel cap P0457s) since I started using this device. I may have gone over 120 on occasion.
    On occasion?!?
    Man the AP is an awesome programmer! It and an UP are now on my X-mas list....
    No tickets yet but I can see some in the future....
    1991 Galant VR4 - Sold
    2002 WRX Wagon - Sold

Fixed it free

I decided to peek under the chassis tonite and verified where the O2 sensor was. Since the code indicates a short and not a malfunction I started examining the wires. Lo and behold the wires up near the connector were smashed and shorting together. 4 crimps and a code clear later the CEL is OFF!!!!
    Now it's time to start the mod wish list. Who's got an AP and up pipe for sale?!?
    1991 Galant VR4 - Sold
    2002 WRX Wagon - Sold

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.