Subaru Coolant Additive

This is a discussion on Subaru Coolant Additive within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Really really dumb question: I just put in the little bottle of that Subaru coolant stuff they recommended. I forgot ...

Question Subaru Coolant Additive

Really really dumb question:

I just put in the little bottle of that Subaru coolant stuff they recommended. I forgot to shake it first, so the last bit came out extremely gloppy, like sludge. Is that gonna mess up my radiator lines?
    2002 WRB 5-spd: K&N drop-in, silencer hack, Samco IC hoses, Godspeed uppipe, Bosal downpipe w/stock 3rd cat, Tanabe RM catback, TB Racing crank pulley, Tanabe GF-210 springs, Koni Sport strut inserts, Group N tranny & motor mounts, Whiteline rack bushings, Kartboy rear-sway endlinks & shifter, Goodridge ss brakelines, Akebono ProACT front pads

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Anyone? Sarcasm is welcome.
    2002 WRB 5-spd: K&N drop-in, silencer hack, Samco IC hoses, Godspeed uppipe, Bosal downpipe w/stock 3rd cat, Tanabe RM catback, TB Racing crank pulley, Tanabe GF-210 springs, Koni Sport strut inserts, Group N tranny & motor mounts, Whiteline rack bushings, Kartboy rear-sway endlinks & shifter, Goodridge ss brakelines, Akebono ProACT front pads

naaaah. think of it this way. if it settled out in the bottle on the shelf, it's gonna settle out in your radiator.

just take her out and jerk her around some corners at WOT.

that should stir it up nicely.

trip.

molon labe.

cnk
    Originally posted by LtTripMD
    naaaah. think of it this way. if it settled out in the bottle on the shelf, it's gonna settle out in your radiator.

just take her out and jerk her around some corners at WOT.

that should stir it up nicely.

trip.

Incorrect. . .the particles that settled down at the bottom are used to fill up any gaps in the seals to prevent leakage. The reason why shaking it is required is to mix the particulates with the rest of the additive so that it flows easily throughout the system in order to properly do it's job. You should still be fine, just that it will take longer to go through the system. Next time, read the directions on the bottle before putting anything in the engine.

Calvin

Thanks, Brothers. Just a momentary lapse of reason on my part, but it was bugging me.

Is it a big deal if I use regular 50/50 coolant instead of the Subaru coolant? what is the difference???

cnk
    The coolant has to be glycol and silicate free IIRC. There has been much debate over which coolant to use. In the end, I just went with the Subaru stuff instead of trying to figure out who was right.

Calvin