87 octane

This is a discussion on 87 octane within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I live in Oregon so I am not allowed to pump my own gas. So this guy puts 87 octane ...

87 octane

I live in Oregon so I am not allowed to pump my own gas. So this guy puts 87 octane in my car. Realized he messed up and filled the rest of it up with 92. So its half full of 87 and half full of 92. Will my car be ok?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

do you have any mods?

you should be okay if not. the stock ECU will protect itself, you might have a little decrease in performance due to pulled timing, but that's all.

dR

no...im all stock. Thanks man!

First, smack that guy, it says right on the gas cap PREMIUM GAS ONLY.

Next, I'd bet you're going to be ok, but you'd be wise to baby it (low boost and no WOT) down a 1/4 tank a couple of times and keep topping it off w/the 92.

Finally, never return to that gas station ever.

-tp

That happened to me here once too but the idiot put in a whole tank because I had to go in the store and didn't notice until I got the receipt. Since then I make sure the blue handle goes in . Oh yeah, I think it's total crap that we can't pump our own gas...hell I know several people who don't even know how...

You might want to add some octane booster or toluene to get the octane back up where it should be, but I'm thinking that dark_rex is right. If you're truly 50/50 on the 87/92 mixture, you're at 90 octane, which is a little lower that the 91 minimum specified.
    We're lucky to have 93 octane out here, but when I travel, I always bring along octane booster just in case. Or, I'll look for Sunoco Ultra (94 octane) when I get down to 1/2 tank. I am not willing to wait while my car "relearns" after a tank of lower octane fuel.

wtf kinda state doesn't let you pump your own gas?!!?

wow.....i didn't realize OR was like that. I didn't realize anywhere would be like that.

and here i thought NJ was the only full serve state....

Wow...I almost had the same thing happen here in NJ. I say "fill it up, 93".....he goes and hits REGULAR....thank god I saw the $1.99 of the regular light up. I had to yell and say "HEY....I said 93!!!!" Not even a gallon went in......whew.....

I wanted to smack that idiot.
    2002 WRB WRX