coolant
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on coolant within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Why is it that our subarus require such strict coolant? Why can't we use tap water mixed with any coolant ...

coolant

Why is it that our subarus require such strict coolant?

Why can't we use tap water mixed with any coolant from the store? Does it have to be Subaru coolant, plus their additive? I think my brother put some tap water with some coolant into my car. What damage will this do? Should I drain it? He just put some to fill up the reservoir

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Re: coolant

Originally posted by streko
    Why is it that our subarus require such strict coolant?

Why can't we use tap water mixed with any coolant from the store? Does it have to be Subaru coolant, plus their additive? I think my brother put some tap water with some coolant into my car. What damage will this do? Should I drain it? He just put some to fill up the reservoir
    You should always use distilled water in a cooling system. When you use tap water it will promote corrosion quicker. As for the coolant I've always been in the school of thought that green coolant is green coolant. Things only get different when you get into the reds, pinks, and oranges. I could be wrong about green coolant, but I've never had a problem in a looong time wrenching on cars.

Many people have used non subaru green coolant. But I just went to the dealer and picked up some subaru coolant because it really wasn't much more expensive, and it makes me feel better I used what subaru designed for these cars

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

tan

Re: Re: coolant

Originally posted by trainrex
    You should always use distilled water in a cooling system. When you use tap water it will promote corrosion quicker. As for the coolant I've always been in the school of thought that green coolant is green coolant. Things only get different when you get into the reds, pinks, and oranges. I could be wrong about green coolant, but I've never had a problem in a looong time wrenching on cars.
    Tap water will most likely contain dissolved minerals which will buildup inside the radiator.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.