Is it bad?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Is it bad? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay so my car has a bit over 500 miles on it (yes I have only had it 3 days ...

Is it bad?

Okay so my car has a bit over 500 miles on it (yes I have only had it 3 days but I love it so much) now my question is even though I am sticking to the break in rules (I only went over 4 grand 3 times and the highest I took it was like 4900) so even though I am sticking to everything, is it bad to go like 85 on the highway even though it doesnt come near 4 grand on the tach?? - my other question is that after driving the car for a while on the highway or anywhere, should I let it sit idling for a couple of minutes so the turbo and engine can cool down before I shut it off? - thanks - still learning here - Dan
    Blobeye Syndicate #48
    2008 Impreza Hatch
    Aztec Gold Metallic
    Missin' the WRX but not the money I am saving :-)
    My car's info

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

No and No............

Ya are not hurtin a thing.

Just try and vary your speed occassionally (and spell that word for me)...

Shotgun

As Shotgun mentioned, vary your speed & RPM's. When I was breaking my car in, I would vary my speed and gears on the highway. Occasionally going over 4K is fine, just make sure your engine is at it's normal operating temp.

Also, no cool down is needed (nor is a turbo timer) for the WRX, as it will continue to cool after the vehicle is shutdown.
    '03 WRX
    '03 SV650

Should be no prob. I have posted on here about break-in and so have others, search for it. Just dont floor it until the 1000 (1/3-3/4 throttle is a good point, Vary the speed and 4500 is a good cut off point. Break it in right and your engine will last a long time, what you are doing is mating all metal to metal surfaces in your car.
    Its all fun and games till someone loses an eye....

Originally posted by grimm
    Just dont floor it until the 1000 (1/3-3/4 throttle is a good point, .
    Is that a real important thing? The manual didn't say anything about it.

Just wondering cause I did it quite a few times in mine - couoldnt resist

I have almost 13k now and no problems whatsoever- but I know that break in problems will manifest themselves later on.

Yea , it really is important to break it in like that. Its sad to see that SOA tells you in the manual the breakin period but not the correct way to do it. varying the speed is vital for proper cam breakin. I have heard people in here use the excuse that nobody in the race indusry "breaks their engines in" but a race engine is balanced, blueprinted and everything groung down to the finest tolerances, they "Broke" it in before it was built, factories dont have the resources or the time to do this for a low cost production car, Ferrari's, Vipers, Porshes Ect. are a different story. Your couple redlines wont hurt anything, just try not to do it for the first half of breakin. You sound like you took care of the car and it should treat you well
    Its all fun and games till someone loses an eye....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.