Amsoil...

This is a discussion on Amsoil... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Sup, I don't remember seeing it on the shelves at Pep Boys. Where can I get some Amsoil? Oh yea...I ...

Amsoil...

Sup,

I don't remember seeing it on the shelves at Pep Boys. Where can I get some Amsoil? Oh yea...I should have read up before I changed my oil last time...I used a Fram filter (the premium one in the sealed up container...the L16440 is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS sold out) and the "new" Mobil 1. I am pretty much anti this new formula. I searched everywhere for the tri-syn...seems like perhaps it was pulled from the shelves???

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Amsoil...

Originally posted by Able Knight
    Sup,

I don't remember seeing it on the shelves at Pep Boys. Where can I get some Amsoil? Oh yea...I should have read up before I changed my oil last time...I used a Fram filter (the premium one in the sealed up container...the L16440 is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS sold out) and the "new" Mobil 1. I am pretty much anti this new formula. I searched everywhere for the tri-syn...seems like perhaps it was pulled from the shelves???
    Try this link for Amsoil products.
    http://intershop.amsoil.com/cgi-bin/Amsoil.storefront

tan
    I waiting for someone to start a flame war about Fram filters....generalizing all Fram filters are bad (when it's only the cheapo ExtraGuard)

Yea I know nothing about Fram...the truth is that they were sold out of the puralator...so I opted for the best Fram that they had. It was a little bit smaller in diameter than the puralator, so I decided to do some research on it and see if it is ok....and to my suprise...I think that I read maybe a single post where it was praised...from both this forum and i-club. Thats why I kinda regret installing it.

I am against the "new" Super-Syn myself. However, in my area they do still have the Tri-Syn in 0W-30, which I use in the winter months. I did find one 5 gal. jug of 15W-50 in the Tri-Syn at Wal-Mart hidden on the top shelf tipped over, the last one. I too have recommend Amsoil. I run it in alll of my bikes, and will be running it in my WRX as soon as my dealer gets it for me (special order thru a motorcycle shop). I wish I could find someonearound here that regularly stocks it.

I am against the "new" Super-Syn myself. However, in my area they do still have the Tri-Syn in 0W-30, which I use in the winter months. I did find one 5 gal. jug of 15W-50 in the Tri-Syn at Wal-Mart hidden on the top shelf tipped over, the last one. I too recommend Amsoil. I run it in alll of my bikes, and will be running it in my WRX as soon as my dealer gets it for me (special order thru a motorcycle shop). I wish I could find someonearound here that regularly stocks it.

tan
    one of the features of the API SL critieria is the reduction of ZDDP additive, a great anti-wear additive, but destroys the catalytic converter.

Originally posted by tan
    I waiting for someone to start a flame war about Fram filters....generalizing all Fram filters are bad (when it's only the cheapo ExtraGuard)
    do the research tam. FRAM is a lesser quality filter all around, all the lines use a lesser quality filter, metal to metal seal to prevent blow by, and cheap adhesive to keep the filter element in place and in proper position. an estimated 30% of FRAM's fail, and the user will never know unless the check every spent filter after a change.

dR

Fram filters are garbage.

I use only Purolator or PureOne, if I have some extra cash.

-Jim

tan
    AS expected....a flame war. The vast majority of Fram filters sold is the cheapo Extra Guard filter. Of the oil filter studies....all do say the Extra Guard indeed does suck. But when they evaluate the ToughGuard and the other more expensive lins, despite the paper ends, it still gets a good review overall.

Looks like all the German oil filters (replaceable element) suck then, the two major manufacturers, Mann & Hengst use paper ends on the filter element.

Purolator packaged ones are Hengst filters. (I only know that because it's in my car)
    Last edited by tan; 07-22-2002 at 01:29 PM.

Originally posted by dark_rex
    do the research tam. FRAM is a lesser quality filter all around, all the lines use a lesser quality filter, metal to metal seal to prevent blow by, and cheap adhesive to keep the filter element in place and in proper position. an estimated 30% of FRAM's fail, and the user will never know unless the check every spent filter after a change.

dR
    Mike, odds are Tan has out-researched every last one of us to the smallest detail. He's EXTREMELY thorough.

I still think Fram Filters suck.

-Jim

Compared aganist each other which of these would be a better choice for a 90 degree high humidity summer?

1) SERIES 2000 - SAE 0W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
    2) SAE 10W-30 XL-7500 Synthetic Motor Oil
    3) SAE 10W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil

No 2 is for 7500 mile service, No. 3 is turbo formulated, and No. 1 seeme to have a whole lot of better comparision numbers (according to Amsoil website).

I am leaning more towards No. 1.

tan
    To avoid complications with the warranty,

I'd go with #2. As the XL7500 10w30 is API SJ certified.

Number #1 & Number 3 are not. Both contain too much ZDDP anti-wear additive (which will destroy the catalytic converters, thus voiding a warranty).

API SL certification addresses that issue, with the reduction of the ZDDP additive, but maintains similar standards as SJ.

If you go with #1 or 3, and your pre-turbo cat fails, don't be too suprised that the fault is the motor oil.

tan

no flames. just one opinion vs. another.

btw, wix is the best BECASUE THEY INCLUDE THE CRUSH GASKET!

i was so excited! - now retiring to the nerdery.

dR

Hey cgrau I hate to tell you that this thread is close to 5 years old...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #666
    Stage 2