Subaru WRX Forum banner

Anyone fixed the window squeak?

12K views 59 replies 31 participants last post by  Jack 
#1 ·
I'm trying to find a quick and simple fix for the window squeak. Has anyone been successful fixing it on their own. I'll take it to the dealer if I must, but I'd prefer not to. Thanks in advance.
-Jim

#3 ·
i just got the squeak, sounds just like a common squeak in my miata, the fix there was to clean the window tracks, i have not tried it yet, no time to take door panel off, in the miata i just cleaned the track inside the door with a rag, supposedly dirt gets in there and make a horrid noise, very similar to what i am hearing in my rex. i will let you know if i ever get around to it. i found the fix somewhere on miata.net.

#5 ·
I'm not sure if it's dirt. Or that's the only reason for it to squeak. Mine started squeaking about 2-3 days after I bought it.

And if it is dirt. I'm not taking the door apart every few days to fix it.

#6 ·
dark_rex said:
dealer oiled mine, and said it fixed the squeal, but it didn't.

then they said it's becasue my window is tinted. :rolleyes:

is anyone sure it's not mechanical. is really sounds like the motor is shot.

dR
I hope they didn't really use oil. Oil sometimes (depends on the oil) causes rubber parts to expand. I think that would be opposite of what you want to have happen.

I thought I heard someone using a silicon based lubricant at the dealership. But I'm not positive.

#8 ·
PlatinumWRX said:
Silicon glass lubricant on the weather stripping will solve it. I haven't got around to it yet. I got used to it, but it makes passengers think your windows are POSs.

-Jim
the windows are kinda crappy. i mean, at 45 mph with the windows open, they shake. just another sacrafice for a killer ride. every time i think about the dissapointing interior or road noise or rattles and shakes, i just think, hey, you can't have it all for $22K right?

dR

#9 ·
dark_rex said:
the windows are kinda crappy. i mean, at 45 mph with the windows open, they shake. just another sacrafice for a killer ride. every time i think about the dissapointing interior or road noise or rattles and shakes, i just think, hey, you can't have it all for $22K right?
Right, we had this discussion before. It's not a Lexus. Plus, Subaru's frameless doors save A LOT OF WEIGHT!!!! Not to mention, they look cool when they are open with the windows down.

-Jim

#14 ·
My driver's side front window just started making this nasty squeak last night. I already have an appointment at the dealer on tuesday. i'll get them to fix it and tell me what the problem was.

and no....i don't have aftermarket windows...so that's not the problem :rolleyes:

#15 ·
Mine just started last week at 2200 miles. I hit a nasty bump in the road, and it sounded like my window cracked, but nothign visible. When I rolled it down, it started this nasty squeak about half way down. Does it every time now, but only on the way down.

I have an appointment with the dealer next week.

#16 ·
A friend of mine also has a rex and his squeaks at night, but not in the daytime (temperature-dependent?).

My drivers side window has squeaked literally since the day I bought it. I made them look at it, and at first they said they couldn't reproduce it. But then the dealership mechanic lowered his voice conspiratorially and said, "Look, every Subaru does this. The window tension is much higher because the doors are frameless, and the tension causes the squeek. You're just never going to be able to fix it."

Dunno. I'd still like a fix, but when my passengers raise an eyebrow I just say, "My car is cheaper than yours, is a full second faster from 0-60, and has a better skidpad. What the hell do I care if it rattles and squeaks?"

#17 ·
rexwagon said:
the dealership mechanic lowered his voice conspiratorially and said, "Look, every Subaru does this. The window tension is much higher because the doors are frameless, and the tension causes the squeek. You're just never going to be able to fix it."
i don't know about that....i've had 2 subys now and i've worked at a dealer...i haven't seen it very much at all...

#21 ·
Re: Yep the DOW Corning worked....

LyveWRX said:
DOW Corning High vacuum silicone grease worked great.....

Just goop it on the seals, esp where you hear the squeaking.. then wipe all of the excess off...

this worked for me, though as always ymmv.....

Nick
And where can you pick this stuff up?

#22 ·
here is the diagnosis on mine....

on the rubber thingy on the trailing edge of the triangle that the rearview mirror attaches to.....there is a little metal chunk that has poked its way trough the seal and was rubbing on the glass. i have a new rubber thingy (yes that's a technical term) on order.

everyone go run and check your rubber thingies!!! :D

#23 ·
In my case, the window squeaking was due to the rubber seal, the part located in the forward triangular corner. It was too tight a fit about the window, and it grabbed at the window as it rolled up and down.

To solve the problem, I just pushed the rubber out wider a few times with my fingers. Took about a minute, and the squeek has gone away, but YMMV.

-Vann

#25 ·
I'm being punished

I put high-temp synthetic grease on the inside of that triangular boot. Worked great... for about 2 days. Now it sqeaks longer and louder than it did before. What have I done?!? I guess I'm doomed to having to keep putting grease on it forever. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.