Anyone fixed the window squeak? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Anyone fixed the window squeak? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; A friend of mine also has a rex and his squeaks at night, but not in the daytime (temperature-dependent?). My ...

A friend of mine also has a rex and his squeaks at night, but not in the daytime (temperature-dependent?).

My drivers side window has squeaked literally since the day I bought it. I made them look at it, and at first they said they couldn't reproduce it. But then the dealership mechanic lowered his voice conspiratorially and said, "Look, every Subaru does this. The window tension is much higher because the doors are frameless, and the tension causes the squeek. You're just never going to be able to fix it."

Dunno. I'd still like a fix, but when my passengers raise an eyebrow I just say, "My car is cheaper than yours, is a full second faster from 0-60, and has a better skidpad. What the hell do I care if it rattles and squeaks?"
    Rus ('02 black wagon, STI Red suspension package, SPO rear sway bar, rolled fenders, 17x7.5+48 rota subzeros w/ Falken Azenis 225/45/17s, StopTech slotted rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads, ss brake lines)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by rexwagon
    the dealership mechanic lowered his voice conspiratorially and said, "Look, every Subaru does this. The window tension is much higher because the doors are frameless, and the tension causes the squeek. You're just never going to be able to fix it."
    i don't know about that....i've had 2 subys now and i've worked at a dealer...i haven't seen it very much at all...
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

You bastards!!

I just read this thread this weekend, and got my first window squeak today. Damnit.

Originally posted by thechickencow
    You bastards!!

I just read this thread this weekend, and got my first window squeak today. Damnit.
    OMG i hope its not contagious!!

Yep the DOW Corning worked....

DOW Corning High vacuum silicone grease worked great.....

Just goop it on the seals, esp where you hear the squeaking.. then wipe all of the excess off...

this worked for me, though as always ymmv.....

Nick
    Lyve
    _______
    Stock

Re: Yep the DOW Corning worked....

Originally posted by LyveWRX
    DOW Corning High vacuum silicone grease worked great.....

Just goop it on the seals, esp where you hear the squeaking.. then wipe all of the excess off...

this worked for me, though as always ymmv.....

Nick
    And where can you pick this stuff up?

here is the diagnosis on mine....

on the rubber thingy on the trailing edge of the triangle that the rearview mirror attaches to.....there is a little metal chunk that has poked its way trough the seal and was rubbing on the glass. i have a new rubber thingy (yes that's a technical term) on order.

everyone go run and check your rubber thingies!!!
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

In my case, the window squeaking was due to the rubber seal, the part located in the forward triangular corner. It was too tight a fit about the window, and it grabbed at the window as it rolled up and down.

To solve the problem, I just pushed the rubber out wider a few times with my fingers. Took about a minute, and the squeek has gone away, but YMMV.

-Vann

I put Armorall on the inside surface of the rubber triangle and no more squeak (for now).

Dale

I'm being punished

I put high-temp synthetic grease on the inside of that triangular boot. Worked great... for about 2 days. Now it sqeaks longer and louder than it did before. What have I done?!? I guess I'm doomed to having to keep putting grease on it forever.
    Rus ('02 black wagon, STI Red suspension package, SPO rear sway bar, rolled fenders, 17x7.5+48 rota subzeros w/ Falken Azenis 225/45/17s, StopTech slotted rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads, ss brake lines)

DOW Corning Grease....

I'm not sure, Iknow its used to lubricate and seal glass to glass fittings in labs.

Try a lab supply company, otherwise I'm not sure, try a google search....

nick

ps: http://www.2spi.com/catalog/vac/dow.shtml

(Edit: added link to DOW Grease)
    Last edited by LyveWRX; 08-01-2002 at 10:59 AM.
    Lyve
    _______
    Stock

The same thing happened to me after I got my car for 3 days... but i'm going to my dealer tomorrow to get my accessories installed~ SO I am definitely going to tell them to do something about it~!!
    2002 WRX Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    On my way to dinner tonight I rolled down my window a bit and the SQUEAK started. I couldn't believe it. W T F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there no solution. A few of you have tried some things but nothing is proven. Every day something starts to rattle or squeak on this car. I am really getting annoyed. Anyone please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

as we all know every new car has a constant problem and i for one am glad that it's somthing so small as a window squeek, ya know? It could be much worse!! it only seems to happen to me in certain weather temp.
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

mine too

Hi, just joined the forum today....lots of great info out there. I had to reply to this post because my driver side window started squeaking about 500 miles ago (at 10K miles). It is the most annoying thing. I thought it had to do with a big rainstorm we had but its been relatively dry for the past few weeks and that sound will not go away. Guess I'll take it in tomorrow and see what the dealer says. I'll bring all these posts, just in case they don't believe that this is a chronic problem. Other than that, the car has been great.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast