2002 WRX Basic Maint Req's?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2002 WRX Basic Maint Req's? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm looking at buying a used, auto, 2002 WRX wagon and my dad was asking about maintenace requirements on it. ...

2002 WRX Basic Maint Req's?

I'm looking at buying a used, auto, 2002 WRX wagon and my dad was asking about maintenace requirements on it. I'm not 100% sure what, besides the basic oil change, is needed on the WRX 'cause of the turbo.
    My dad specifically asked "because there's that big vent thing on the top of the engine when you open up the hood... You ever seen anything like it before?!" I was like, "uh, dad, that's the intercooler... it's part of the turbo setup... normally it's mounted at the front of the car behind the front bumper but the hood scoop is functional and feeds directly into it". Yea. Not quite sure he gets it, but since he wants to know anyways, and I may be getting this car TOMORROW he wants to know what kind of maintenance will be required on a typical basis for the '02 WRX wagon.

Can anyone enlighten me so I can futher educate dad?? Thanks much!

Rach

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

There's not other maintainence this car needs that another car doesn't.

Regarding the turbo though, letting it cool down a little bit after driving it hard is helpful. That increases engine life and turbocharger longevity. By "cool down" I mean drive around the block slowly, or let the car idle for a minute or so before turning it off.
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about the "cool down" period. My boyfriend's brother has/had (he's selling it) a twin turbo '94 RX7 that he let Greg take out all the time, so yea... I learned that

Thanks otherwise tho! I'll relay the info and resume subtle begging

I Support ClubWRX
    See the periodic maintenance sticky at the top of this thread.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

haha well it doesn't really matter... I got one anyways didn't have to do too much to talk dad into it... the high safety ratings and AWD did it i think

thanks tho... i will check it out regardless

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.