Thanks Clutch Shudder
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Thanks Clutch Shudder within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just wanted to say thanks to all the people on the board that allerted the others about the TSB on ...

Thanks Clutch Shudder

Just wanted to say thanks to all the people on the board that allerted the others about the TSB on the clutch shudder. I just had my new clutch put in last night by Subaru of Manchester NH and its a night and day difference. not a bad deal 41,000 miles and a free clutch. It just stinks though that the 1st batch of 02s had all of the problems. I have yet to scrape the paint of my coolant cover, yet my friends 02 doesn't have any of the problems of the early 02s.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

well too bad my dealer wants to reproduce the problem before they can work on it. If not this i'd have new clutch too, but i'll wait 'till mine gets worn out more and then i'll go and b**ch.
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

Ditto on the clutch shudder. Mine did it, and even though I could live with it, my local dealer (who DIDN'T sell me the car!!!) was willing to replace it at 27,500 WITHOUT reproducing the problem!!!
    Then, in January, we got some really cold weather, and one afternoon, I got a really strong gas odor. I hopped onto ClubWRX, and instantly found the TSB on that problem. The odor never came back, but my dealer is going to do the fix for me. At first the rep said "no", because I'm beyond the 36,000 mile warrenty, but I said that it seemed like it should be an emissions issue, and therefore covered by the 50,000 warrenty. The parts are in , and the work is scheduled. While they have the manifold off, I'm going to have them install a Samco inlet pipe, which is a PITA with the manifold in place.
    In summary, the info in these forums is invaluable.

It is amazing how each dealer varies in customer support. I bought my car used at a different subaru dealer and bring the car to the one closest to my house and they treat me like family, always calling to check in after service, THe place I bought it from never checked in, I've never even recieved a coupon in the mail from them unlike the local dealer. My friends dealer in MA wanted to reproduce his problem but he was SOL when they couldn't reproduce it. I guess I just lucked out, it was like 40 degrees the night before, they new 1st thing in the morning it needed the new clutch, they had the parts one buisness day later and I had my car back ASAP. THey didn't even question the 41,000 miles on it. 1/2 of the time when the car is in there they replace something on the warrenty and I have no Idea there was a problem until I have to sign the warrenty paper. Yeah paying the few extra bucks an hour for labor hurts but my piece of mind is worth it to me.

Angry

I hear ya rally, I brought mine to the ACTON, MA dealer where I purchased my 2002 WRX and they can't reproduce the issue, THUS they won't do crap about it. it drives me nuts. I work right down the street from the dealer so I'll keep bringing it in as long as I have to. I told them straight out that by the time my odometer hit 60,000 I will have the proper parts replaced.

whats exactly is the problem that you are talking about. is it when you let the clutch out it like sorta slips i geuss and makes the whole car shakes and vibrates reallll bad. it does this to me every once in awhile in the morning. just wonderning if i could get a free clutch...that would be great....

I recommend that you do a search on "clutch shudder". About a year ago, there was a thread that included the actual TSB.

Ths was a problem with 2002 WRX's. Mine would shake on the first few starts a few times a week.

Getting it fixed depends on your dealer. Mine's very good.

yea i did that after i made the post and found out that it was in fact what i am talking about....thanks

You're welcome.
    BTW, I was just over in the Powertrain forum, and there's a whole new thread about the problem, with a nice new scan of the TSB.

What really sucks is that mine judders like hell in the mornings, But I have a ACT clutch so no replacement for me.
    2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L Belize Blue Pearl

2000 Yamaha R6
    10.123 At 131.9mph (Dyno Drags)
    111.1hp@wheel

2002 Aspen White 5MT WRX - Sold

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.