Question about Timing belt
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Question about Timing belt within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am getting up there in the miles, and I feel I should change my timing belt soon. Unfortunatly I ...

Question about Timing belt

I am getting up there in the miles, and I feel I should change my timing belt soon. Unfortunatly I am kinda broke, and will be for a while. I can't really afford a 130 belt.

My question is would any of you take the chance with a used timing belt for MUCH cheaper?

Said belt has about 6000 miles on it.

Any input would be cool. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

First how much cheeper...

second....NO

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    How many miles on your current belt? IIRC it's over 100,000 miles in the schedule- I probably won't wait that long, but no sense going in too early.

I think the belt will be the least of your costs- I don't think this is a shade-tree operation- I'm guessing some Subaru "special tools" involved.

Big Sky

No special tools required. You need a C-clamp to press the tensioner pin back into place before re-installing the belt.

Other than that, you'll have a LOT more room to work if you remove the radiator and fans to get to the timing belt. That should give you 4-6 inches extra room in front of the timing belt to get wrenches and stuff in there better. The radiator and fans come out SUPER easy.

-jason
    2002 Midnight Black WRX - EJ22 w/ VF30 and all the other stuff to go with it...

***ATTN: Speed Kills! Drive a Honda and live FOREVER. ***

I don't think this is a shade-tree operation- I'm guessing some Subaru "special tools" involved.
    I just wanted to add, that if you put your mind to it, there isn't anything that CAN'T be done. After just finishing a complete motor swap that all took place in my apartment's CARPORT!!! All without my landlord ever finding out.

After completing that, ANYTHING can be a "shade-tree" project.

SubaruWRX2k4: Good luck if you tackle the timing belt yourself...

-jason
    2002 Midnight Black WRX - EJ22 w/ VF30 and all the other stuff to go with it...

***ATTN: Speed Kills! Drive a Honda and live FOREVER. ***

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by jmussetter
    I just wanted to add, that if you put your mind to it, there isn't anything that CAN'T be done. After just finishing a complete motor swap that all took place in my apartment's CARPORT!!! All without my landlord ever finding out.

After completing that, ANYTHING can be a "shade-tree" project.

SubaruWRX2k4: Good luck if you tackle the timing belt yourself...

-jason
    That's good to know- the radiator is a breeze to take off. The crank pulley just takes a little umph to get off, what about the crankshaft socket they show- is it just a normal socket or is some weird shaped deal?

Also when doing a timing belt what else should be done- waterpump, tensioners, any oil seals?

Also appears there is a right way/wrong way to move the cam sprockets when installing the belt- is absolutely necessary to even move the sprockets to install the belt?

Big Sky

Originally posted by Big Sky WRX

Also when doing a timing belt what else should be done- waterpump, tensioners, any oil seals?

Also appears there is a right way/wrong way to move the cam sprockets when installing the belt- is absolutely necessary to even move the sprockets to install the belt?

Big Sky
    bump for all those good questions.

also, what mileage is everyone doing this? I know the typcial number used to be 60 to 75K, and i'm approaching that zone.

dR

whats a average price to have it done. what belt do you recomend? I understand there are some belts better then oem.

doing timing belts is difficult if you have never done one before. If you dont have all the cam pulleys lined up right, you could bend a valve or your car wond start. I would really make sure you know what you are doing, because you can damage some stuff if you dont.
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

Re: Question about Timing belt

Originally posted by SubaruWRX2k4
    My question is would any of you take the chance with a used timing belt for MUCH cheaper?

Said belt has about 6000 miles on it.
    I would NOT put in a used belt.. The point of changing the belt is to get a new one in there...

The belt it self is not that expensive. The dealership install will cost you more. If you plan on doing it yourself read all you can before you go ahead and bring a clever friend. You do not want this done wrong.. If you don't have clue how it's done I would let someone else do it..

I'm not sure when it's recomended to change the belt, but my service book says 100.000km (or every 4 year) on my euro edition.

I ruined a engine in my old audi a4 because of an timingbelt that was old. Time for a change on my rex soon, I'm not sure I want to do it myself, I'll have to read alot first to se if I understand everything that needs to be done before I start.

PS I belive it's recomended to change the automatic belt tension adjuster or what it's called.. If this fails you don't have much use for you new belt..
    Last edited by Roffa; 07-05-2004 at 03:21 PM.
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

Originally posted by dark_rex

also, what mileage is everyone doing this? I know the typcial number used to be 60 to 75K, and i'm approaching that zone.

dR
    bumper!

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Big Sky WRX
    That's good to know- the radiator is a breeze to take off. The crank pulley just takes a little umph to get off, what about the crankshaft socket they show- is it just a normal socket or is some weird shaped deal?

Big Sky
    Definately remove the rad and fans, it makes life a lot easier. The crank pulley comes off with a regular socket. If you have a gun it makes life easier. Set the engine at TDC and remove the belts covers and pulleys. Then remove the belt. When reinstalling, line up the necessary marks, and adjust the tensioner to the necessary tension. At this point, put the crank pulley back on the car without reinstalling everything and slowly turn the motor over two complete revolutions by hand with a ratchet or breaker bar to make sure the valves aren't hitting the pistons from misinstallation. It you feel a hard resistance, don't force it. Back it up and check your marks. IF everytings spins well, put it back at TDC, check your marks, and close 'er up. It is always smart to change the water pump, tensioners, and oil seals when doing this job, but not necessary.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by dark_rex
    bump for all those good questions.

dR
    When it comes to timing belts on interference motors, the sooner the better.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by trainrex
    Definately remove the rad and fans, it makes life a lot easier. The crank pulley comes off with a regular socket. If you have a gun it makes life easier ...blah blah blah blah... water pump, tensioners, and oil seals when doing this job, but not necessary.
    Methinks you've done this a time or two...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by RayfieldsWRX
    Methinks you've done this a time or two...
    Lol....just a few

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast