Puff of smoke?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Puff of smoke? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, so I've been noticing lately that if my car sits for awhile (over 4-5 hours) that the car will ...

Puff of smoke?

Ok, so I've been noticing lately that if my car sits for awhile (over 4-5 hours) that the car will smoke the first second I hit boost. Let me be more descript: I start the car, lets sya the first time in the morning, and I let it warm up. I get in the car and roll it out of the driveway without hitting the throttle, I put it in first and start to roll out and here is where is see the little puff of smoke and by the time I roll 10 feet up the block its already gone. Now my friend with a DSM said once you start higher boosting on the stock turbo you get a little bit of blow by. I regularly check my oil and it doesnt seem low at all...just wanted to know if this is the turbo or if people think its the engine?
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

do you have a blow-off valve. If you do its possible that from having the blowoff valve your spark-plugs can be toast, which will cause a little smoke when starting and at high rpm.

Nope, stock bypass valve but I've been running REALLY rich for some time now (base map from TXS), think that could be it? I have a turbo waiting in my room to go in so I'm going to wind up taking out the stock turbo along with plugs, injectors etc. so I want to know what is smoking before I remove all the parts that could be the problem.
    SIRacing.Net

heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

Anyone else have some insight? I want to have an idea so when I open everything up I can try everything in one shot.
    SIRacing.Net

heh, fairlady

I Support ClubWRX
    It could very well be from running rich. Since I put the 800cc injectors in my car, I've been running really rich and I see puffs of smoke every now and then too. The easiest way to know what it is from is to try and notice what color it is.... White smoke indicates coolant (this is very bad), bluish smoke indicates oil, and blackish smoke indicates fuel. I know it's hard to tell what color it is when you're looking in the rearview, but maybe have one of your friends look from behind....
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

It looks like oil, I had my father and a friend that is a mechanic look at it...my father sees the blueish puff of smoke but the mechanic friend only saw my car after it warmed up so he couldn't see much. I just want to isolate where the smoke is coming from: ie turbo/engine/just smoke from running rich so that way when I take everything out I hopefully don't make it harder to trouble shoot. The problem is it only happens after the car sits for a long time (several hours) and it happens the very first time I put a load on the car and it lasts for a second or two.
    SIRacing.Net

heh, fairlady

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.