Shifter install question

This is a discussion on Shifter install question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Last week me and my friend installed my Kartboy Short Throw Shifter. The shifter has slight contact with the metal ...

str

Shifter install question

Last week me and my friend installed my Kartboy Short Throw Shifter. The shifter has slight contact with the metal plate in first gear and we haven't had time yet to grind down the plate. My question is: Is it ok to be driving with it rubbing the plate slightly? Every gera shifts fine and my friend says it is ok. Your thoughts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

are you sure you positioned it the right way? Dont worry about it, it will wear itself into place.
    La Fee Verte
    Subaru 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX

Re: Shifter install question

Originally posted by str
    Last week me and my friend installed my Kartboy Short Throw Shifter. The shifter has slight contact with the metal plate in first gear and we haven't had time yet to grind down the plate. My question is: Is it ok to be driving with it rubbing the plate slightly? Every gera shifts fine and my friend says it is ok. Your thoughts.
    some ppl shave part of the plate so that there is no contact. others have simply rotated it 180 degrees.

and no, the thing won't "wear in"
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

i drove with the contact for two weeks. no problem. go buy some 1/8" thick rubber washers, and loosen all the bolts. remove the one on the rubbing corner.

slip the rubber washer underneath (elevating the metal brace a little) and put the bolt through the washer and the plate. tighten them all down again. the plate's rubbing corner should be elevated enough to stop the rubbing. i used 3 thin metal washers and it did the trick, but if i did it over again, i'd go with a rubber one.

i don't think it will "wear in" the linkage is made of some pretty strong metal, and even after two weeks of a lot of driving, it didn't wear anything in. i still could hear the contact.

dR
    Last edited by dark_rex; 07-15-2002 at 01:21 PM.