How do you go about cleaning the engine

This is a discussion on How do you go about cleaning the engine within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, I've have my WRX for a few months now and the engine is starting to get a little dirty. ...

How do you go about cleaning the engine

Hi, I've have my WRX for a few months now and the engine is starting to get a little dirty. I would like to clean it so that I can keep the engine looking good for a long time. What is the best way to clean it. Should I use some type of engine cleaner like "Gunk", if you ever heard of it, and then pressure wash it. Or is pressure washing the engine bad?

Thanks for any input,
    Andrew
    WR Blue Perl WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

http://autopia-carport.com/forums/sh...?threadid=8608

read this, great info from a pro, lengthy but good. i'd suggest covering spark plug ends, intake, any ignition components really well using aluminum foil, it's much easier than plastic bags and rubber bands.

and once you get it clean, just do some cleaning under the hood once/month from here out if you like it clean. it's easier to take 10 minutes once/month than to bust your butt for a couple of hours detailing a greasy pigged up engine bay

I just use regular car wash soap. Open the hood, get everything wet with a hose (avoid spraying wire connections, etc.) soap it up with a sponge and rinse everything off. Works fine, if you do it everytime you wash your car!

-Jim

I take mine to the car wash and power wash it (being careful not to get too close so as not to blow any hoses off). Usually do it when the engine is still cold, and leave the car running. Never had any problems.

you can use engine degreaser, then you can pressure wash it, just make sure to cover your electrical components. I usually steam clean mine.
    La Fee Verte
    Subaru 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan

Anyone heard using brake cleaner? I heard it works wonders on tough jobs.
    2002 Rally Blue WRX - Few mods

Originally posted by Sherb
    I use brake cleaner for killing wasps and bees. Works better than raid.

Yes, brake cleaner will clean most anything, but most of them have warnings telling you not to spray on rubber hoses and stuff. I probably wouldn't use it. Gunk and Gumout make pretty good engine cleaners.

I Support ClubWRX
    SIMPLE GREEN. Best stuff known to man. And it is safe on your hands too. My 4Runner motor was REAL dirty after I went wheelin, and I Simple Greened the HELL out of it, and it looked like brand new. Just Simple Green, let sit for 15 mintues, and rinse with a hose. Your engine and engine compartment will look brand new. And make sure to put plastic bags on all of the electrical components before you start.
    Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

Originally posted by Sherb
    When I used to work at an autorepair shop, we used brake cleaner to clean all sorts of engine parts or anything with grease/gunk attached to it. Its great stuff. But engine degreaser is stronger.
    La Fee Verte
    Subaru 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan

I Support ClubWRX
    Brake cleaner can melt plastic parts. Its fine for everything else though.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Originally posted by GV27
    Brake cleaner can melt plastic parts. Its fine for everything else though.
    I don't know how I missed this thread. Brake cleaner is REALLY POWERFUL. It should only be used on BRAKES. Really!

-Jim

Thanks for all the info guys, I think I'am going to try the citrus degreasers first and just spray down the engine bay. We'll see how that comes out. I'am kind of hesitant to using anything really harsh, dont' want to deteriate the rubber and plastic parts of the engine.

thanks again,
    WR Blue Perl WRX