oil drain plug:roll eyes:
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on oil drain plug:roll eyes: within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I changed my oil today, as on time 2500 miles to 3000 miles. mobil 1 full synthetic, 5w 30. i ...

oil drain plug:roll eyes:

I changed my oil today, as on time 2500 miles to 3000 miles. mobil 1 full synthetic, 5w 30. i do it like normal, but when i am done putting the oil into the car i noticed i did something stupid

i forgot to put the little ring on the plug before i put it back in the pan. and now there is fresh oil in the engine, and i have no way of removing the plug without draining the oil again. any body ever do this, if so, did you leak, or did u find a way to get it on without loosing the oil.
    I LOVE WINTER!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i have never done on my car but when i use to do oil changes on other cars what i would do is take the plug out and if your fast enough you can stop the flow with your finger r hand. you will lose a little bit but not the hole 5 qt.

Originally posted by scrapy2
    i have never done on my car but when i use to do oil changes on other cars what i would do is take the plug out and if your fast enough you can stop the flow with your finger r hand. you will lose a little bit but not the hole 5 qt.
    ^ Yep,......

Or get a CLEAN pan/whatever and just drain it out and then dump it back in with a funnel...(Pain in da arse)

Shotgun

that would work to.

tan
    the washer makes it easier to remove the drain plug.

If it's not leaking...you're fine.

When it's time to change the oil again....you'll need a breaker bar to pop it loose.

I have NOT used the washer since my 2nd oil change. On the first change, I re-used the original washer. My car has 26,000+ miles on it, and no leaks. I change the oil every 3,000 miles. The washer is there not to prevent leaks, it's only there for easy removal of the plug.

I Support ClubWRX
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Hmmmm,

Guess guys workin at Quick Lube complained about em seizin?

Shotgun

Arrow

http://www.fumotovalve.com/

Worth the $20 for it... Not only do you not get oil all over your hands, it's very easy to change oil plus you don't have to worry about taking the drain nut on and off all the time, just turn the valve and it's draining :-)

-Nigel
    ~NSG~

Don't believe the hype! Trust Subaru, the washer is there for a reason. I would use the first method mentioned: with a COLD engine....remove plug, stop oil with finger and replace with washer. Then add FRESH oil as needed to make up the difference. I would not try to reuse any oil because you risk contaminating the oil and putting dirt in the engine, regardless of how clean the pan is. A few extra bucks ($4.17/qt. at Wallyworld) will be worth it.
    Mark
    02 WRX Wagon

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.