Shavings in oil?

This is a discussion on Shavings in oil? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just changed my oil and I emptied the drain pan into the bottle the new oil came in. On ...

Shavings in oil?

I just changed my oil and I emptied the drain pan into the bottle the new oil came in. On the bottom of the drain pan I noticed what looked like chunks of metal. Not huge, but noticable. Upon further inspection I found it was shavings that were bunched up.

I've never noticed shavings like this before, but I've also never really looked at the bottom of the drain pan. I usually just wipe it clean.

Any comments?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Car just hit 39k BTW.

Anybody?

I'm not sure what to say but that i'm pretty confident that is NOT normal.

I'd love to see a pic, but in the meantime, have you noticed and rpm modulation at idle? smoke from the tailpipe?

dR

Originally posted by dark_rex
    I'm not sure what to say but that i'm pretty confident that is NOT normal.

I'd love to see a pic, but in the meantime, have you noticed and rpm modulation at idle? smoke from the tailpipe?

dR
    Not at all. Sorry, I didn't take pics. They're so small I'm not sure if my camera would pick them up anyway.

could it just be dried crap on the drain plug or something? somethign from the threads maybe?

i'm stumped.

tan
    if it's metal shavings...it tends to be bad.

The first oil change I did when the car was new, I noticed some fine shavings... After that first one I haven't noticed anything else. Did you do the previous oil change? Did you use the same brand of oil filter? oil?

*edit for spelling
    2003 Sedona Red WRX

Do you wipe around your oil filler cap before removing it? Have you had any engine work done? You could hook up an oil pressure gauge and see if pressures match the spec. Other than that it is wait and see what happens. Sorry I could not be more help. Maybe invest in one of those magnetic drain plugs and see what that picks up.

do you still have your original oil filter from when you did this past oil change? If so cut it open, it could reveal more about what's going on.

I would expect to find this in the trans and rear diff oil but not in the engine oil. But honestly, I have not paid very close attention to my old engine oil. I have found very very small shavings in my trans and diff oil.
    Mark
    02 WRX Wagon

This was in my engine oil.

I have a fumoto valve, so I don't remove my plug at all.

The last two oil changes I've used the middle level Fram filter (toughguard? I can't remember the name.) I've never noticed shavings like this before, but then again I never looked until the last change. I'm coming up on my next oil change, so I'm going to pay close attention.

Originally posted by verbal

The last two oil changes I've used the middle level Fram filter (toughguard? I can't remember the name.) I've never noticed shavings like this before, but then again I never looked until the last change. I'm coming up on my next oil change, so I'm going to pay close attention.
    Hmmm, the 'Orange Can Of Death" as they are known The plastic by-pass valve and cardboard endcaps are enough to scare me away from Fram oil filters for life.

However, I not going to say the Fram filter is to blame for your shavings problem. I'd try a different brand of filter at your next oil change just to eliminate one potential variable.

Also, it may be a good idea to send a sample of your oil (pre and post Fram filter) to http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ for an oil analysis.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

never use fram!

check out the oil filter thread in this forum for more opinions and info.

but like it's been said. whether or not the filter should have caught metal shards is irrelevent (although it certainly should have) you shouldn't have metal fragments anyway.

dR