CEL after K&N Drop-In
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on CEL after K&N Drop-In within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I got a used K&N drop-in last night in the mail, and cleaned it last night...let it dry overnight. I ...

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar

CEL after K&N Drop-In

I got a used K&N drop-in last night in the mail, and cleaned it last night...let it dry overnight.

I oiled it this morning before I got in the shower. Let it soak for about 30 min while I got ready and made lunch etc.

Put it in my car, everything seemed fine. I gunned it as I pulled out of my apt. complex and got a CEL.

After I got to work, I checked on the K&N, and pulled it out...there was a LOT of moisture. I shook it, and droplets came flying out.

Luckily I still had my stock air filter in the car. I put it back in and started it up and still had a CEL.

Is this really going to screw $h1t up?
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have read posts where the question is raised about the oil being sucked through the intake, coating the MAF sensor and confusing it.

A lot of us believe it's best to leave the intake alone.
    2007 urban gray STI. KTR Ecutek Re-Flash

maybe you put it in lopsided? i did it threw a CEL
    Fadi....
    04' WRX, Stage 4 with fmic R.I.P
    05' WRX STI, 325whp 346wtq @17psi
    MODS
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailboss
    Enough of the bloody titties show.

tan
    You probably didn't let it dry enough before oiling.

Pull the code and verify what it is

Check to make sure the intake is all in solidly. i got a CEL from my ram scoop thingy falling out of the hole.
    Former member of bugeye mafia

<=====my old baby

Thanks guys.

The CEL is no more. I guess it dried out a little more after I took it out. I put it back in that evening and it was fine.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

Registered User silver_rex_4eat's Avatar

thats good to hear that the cel went away..

I bought a drop in k and n new and put it in. It is a slight pain in the butt to get it to sit in there properly but never had a problem witha cel coming on. Sounds like the moisture did it but its fine now so have fun.

chris

Re: thats good to hear that the cel went away..

Originally posted by silver_rex_4eat
    I bought a drop in k and n new and put it in. It is a slight pain in the butt to get it to sit in there properly but never had a problem witha cel coming on. Sounds like the moisture did it but its fine now so have fun.

chris
    So...how do you like th K&N drop in?...any problems? is it worth it?

There's no difference performance-wise, at least from the butt-dyno. I just like the idea of only having to own ONE oil filter and cleaning it out after 50,000 miles. Sound investment....especially since I got mine + the cleaning kit used for 25 even.

Don't think I'd buy one brand new though.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

Registered User silver_rex_4eat's Avatar

yeah i like it

I havent gotten a cel and so far so good. i doubt there is much if any hp gains but i did the snorklectomy and decided to put in a new filter.

chris

What I heard was that it is best to oil and let it sit overnight and dry out and then dab any left over oil that is on it. The longer it sits out of the car the better. Don't know how true this is but it sounds like it would make a little difference.
    2004 STi

on the topic of air filters. How often do you guys think the air filter should be replaced if it's not a K&N? The manual says every 30,000 miles but that seems like a lot to me. In previous cars I used to do it every two or three oil changes if I didn't have the k &n.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.