Power Steering Problem! Help!!

This is a discussion on Power Steering Problem! Help!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, so this morning I was going to work. I see some smoke coming out of the hood scoop so ...

I Support ClubWRX

Power Steering Problem! Help!!

Ok, so this morning I was going to work. I see some smoke coming out of the hood scoop so I pull over and see that there is a small hole in my turbo coolant inlet hose. I go home, take my gf's car.
    I come back home, replace the hose, go to drive the car. The steering is whining and being jerky and blah blah. I check the power steering fluid reservoir and it's pretty close to empty. I fill it, turn the car on and go for a drive.... half way around the block it goes to crap again. I pull over, and refill it with the car off. I turn the car back on and go check the fluid level and it's all but gone!
    WTF is going on?!?! Any suggestions? I checked the lines coming out of the reservoir and they all seemed to be tight and sealed. I see the fluid burning off by way of the smoke and the interesting smell.
    What should I do at this point?

Also, is it safe to drive around with the fluid gone? Is it gonna damage anything?
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

is there any puddles on the ground or anything?
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

I Support ClubWRX
    I can't really tell. It's been raining. I'm pretty sure I can see some fluid puddles at the bottom of the engine compartment.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    You are probably leaking elsewhere then, maybe at the rack fittings. Follow the hoses from the reservoir/pump and see where the leak is.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I think taking it to a shop will be the easiest solution for this one
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke