HELP! busted stud

This is a discussion on HELP! busted stud within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well I thought it would be a good idea to change my oem brake pads since they were making an ...

HELP! busted stud

Well I thought it would be a good idea to change my oem brake pads since they were making an awful metallic scraping noise. I thought this would be a simple operation but I was wrong. The first set of pads were replaced easily but when it came time to take off the passenger side front rim one of the bolts became stuck. After some serious force was applied the bolt finally broke loose but much to my chagrin the stud broke off with it.

If anyone else has had this kind of experience I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance guys and girls!

-=Brian

Mmm...yeah...definitely time to change the oem pads
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails resize of oem pads top.jpg  
    05 OBP WRX STi

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

no seriously time to change those pads
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails resize of oem pads side.jpg  
    05 OBP WRX STi

one busted stud in a lug:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails resize of busted stud in lug.jpg  
    05 OBP WRX STi

what my front passenger side rim looks like now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails resize of rim.jpg  
    05 OBP WRX STi

what this experience made me want to go do:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails resize of captain morgan pads.jpg  
    05 OBP WRX STi

Owie son...

Best bet is to either get a steady hand and drill it out, or carefulyl drive it to a tire store where they can take the stud out for oyu.

you are fine driving with one lug nut missing. Btw- if you dont cut/replace the rotors, the brake pads will wear quickly and make noise.
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

tan
    I hope it's not inspection season.

IIRC (Could be wrong)...the stud needs to be pressed out and a new stud pressed into the hub. Not exactly a cheap fix (the stud is cheap)...but a lot of labor.

Originally posted by tan
    I hope it's not inspection season.

IIRC (Could be wrong)...the stud needs to be pressed out and a new stud pressed into the hub. Not exactly a cheap fix (the stud is cheap)...but a lot of labor.

i use to work at a tire shop, ur stud aint going anywhere. you can tap it out by removing your rotor and replacing it by buying a new one at autozone for like 15 bucks. its not alotta work if u know what ur doing .. i done it to a few hondas and all imports are pretty much the same.

This has happened to me in my auto shop class. I broke a rear end stud on my jeep and was able to wack it out quite easily. Getting a new one back in isnt too hard either, especially when you have an impact gun. Oh yeh...youll be fine driving with 4 studs for the time being.

Turbo stud

I've got one for you guys. I was in the process of making my first mod, an invidia tbe. I take off the intercooler, the heat shielding, 4 of the 5 nuts holding on the stock downpipe to the turbo and it seems when I was having my clutch replaced (a whole other post right there, not my fault though) the good ole guys at the stealership here where i've moved cross threaded the lower stud coming out of the turbocharger housing. They also appeared to have lost a nut because one of them was way more rusted and not the same design as the stock nuts.

As the nut loosened to halfway through the stud, it became progressively harder to the point I thought it'd bust off, then I'd have to buy a new turbo which I cannot afford. This puts me in kind of a sticky situation because the car is technically still under warranty. If I go to the dealership and ask them to fix it, they will ask me how I found out it was cross threaded in the first place and probably deny any mistake by blaming it on another place that may have serviced it.

So I'm sure someone on these forums has had a similar problem, any suggestions whatsoever are appreciated. I've only come up with one idea and thats going back to these jerks at the dealership who will undoubtedly screw something up again.