Coolant hose to turbo - slow leak?

This is a discussion on Coolant hose to turbo - slow leak? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Anyone noticed the coolant hose from the radiator cap housing to the top of the turbo (the rear hose of ...

I Support ClubWRX

Coolant hose to turbo - slow leak?

Anyone noticed the coolant hose from the radiator cap housing to the top of the turbo (the rear hose of the three hoses surrounding the radiator cap; the other two go off toward the front/center of the car, while the hose to the turbo goes to the rear and down) seeps coolant? Or so it seems? I can't tell really.

I see coolant remnants on the bottom surface of the hose itself, where it meets the metal nipple, and along the nipple and the top of the radiator cap housing (the mini "tank" on which the rad cap and the three hose nipples are located).

Odd thing is, the system has been pressure tested and checks out fine as of last week, and I can't replicate the leak - but it was coolant I saw, greenish white. I whiped it off and ran the car 30 minutes, no more juice - but I still suspect the hose and/or spring-type stock hose clamp.

If it gives me more crap I'll put a screw-type, real hose clamp on it - but has anyone seen this happen? Or is someone else's work confusing me (I just had the cruise throttle cable recall done, and maybe the tech pulled the rad cap to check coolant level, spilling a little etc., or maybe I'm just plain nuts?).

Before you think "not on my car" look closely for a white residue around the bottom of any of the three nipples on the rad cap platform...
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Answering my own question - yes, it leaks. A small leak will look like white/green hue on the hose edge or the nipple.

I switched to a screw-type clamp. Couldn't find the (better) T-bar clamps around. All's well.

Check your turbo supply hose.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.