Question about high spd cruizing?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Question about high spd cruizing? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Should I worry? If I choose to cruise for long periods of time at over 100mph in a wrx "ie. ...

Angry Question about high spd cruizing?

Should I worry? If I choose to cruise for long periods of time at over 100mph in a wrx "ie. driving for long periods of time 4-6000 rpm range", would I be doing any damage to the turbo, "or anything else for that matter" due to the fact that the car is turning over such high RPM. Also, If my cruising speed is equaling, in the range of 4000 RPM, would the turbo be working overtime and say maby over heat? This may sound like a n00b ish question but I,v always driven naturaly asperated cars "96 stang and 98 Z28" and am considering buying 2002 WRX. Also, has any body heard of posible new body pannles coming on the 2003. If so i would love to see pics.

Thanks for your imput

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

tan
    The main concern is before you shut off the engine, you let the engine idle for a few minutes so the turbo cools down and prevents the oil from coking due to turbo heat.

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    do you have a boost gauge?

look at it - even if ur in the 4-6k rpm range, if ur not pressing on the gas that hard, ur not making boost. usually when i'm cruising, i'm in 5th and vacuum is at -10 or -5
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

m reply is the same as penguins
    La Fee Verte
    Subaru 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan

Thanks for your responses guys.
    I dont have a rex yet but hopfully in the couple of weeks!

OK, I have a question for you need4spd. Where on earth do you live where you can drive in excess of 100mph for an extended period of time to cause you to ask a question like this? (I might want to come visit you! )
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

LOL I live by this moto "In the game of life, winner don't wait for chances, they take them!!!" many freeways late at night allow planty of oppertunity to hall major AZZ,
    ie. NEEDFOR SPEED

Originally posted by WRXed
    OK, I have a question for you need4spd. Where on earth do you live where you can drive in excess of 100mph for an extended period of time to cause you to ask a question like this? (I might want to come visit you! )
    My AVERAGE cruising speed on the PA TP sans traffic is 90+mph.

The thing is, maximum cruise control setting = 89mph!

-Jim

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX

-Jim
    anyway to override the max C/C setting?

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX

-Jim
    That really ticked me off when I found that out. Whats a guy cruising across nebraska supposed to do? Everytime I go out west I usually cruised at 90+ in my maxima. My WRX is more stable than the maxima, so i'm sure i'll go the same speed.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, if you think about it though it makes sense from Subaru's point of view. They look around at Japan's crowded roads, and conclude - rightly so - that you should be DRIVING if you're going that fast, not just cruising. That holds quite well in the Eastern part of the US - including the PA TP! (Sorry - I just don't think it's very safe to just be on cruise at those speeds on crowded highways).

However, when you get out west here things change! I took a trip out to CA a couple of years ago and cruised behind a Volvo across Nevada at around 110 for several hours. Saw maybe three other cars in three hours. The car I was in had no cruise whatsoever, but it would have been nice - and safe.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    i'm sorry, but do none of you guys have COPS around the area you cruise???? wherever i go, even on the highways in tx, there are cops everywhere. i have no friggin clue how u get away with it, plz share the secret

didn't montana use to not have speed limits? hehe...is it still like that?
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

tan
    There's plenty on I-80 in New Jersey.

I Support ClubWRX
    No, Montana has speed limits now. It was bogus anyway. You'd get a ticket for sure if a cop caught you doing over 85. As it turned out, with no speed limit and only the "safe and prudent" law, you could get a speeding ticket at any speed.

Only out in the middle of nowhere (and I mean nowhere - "remote" America) have I ever seen people get away with it. Parts of West Texas would qualify, but those Rangers are hardasses
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumWRX

-Jim

yeah what is up with that! When i was on my way back from california to wisconsin i had some wide open freeway and i couldnt set my cruise above 90
    96 Mustang: Shorty Headers, X-pipe, Electronic cut out, Air silencer Delete, K&N air filter, really sticky tires
    (14.32 @ 96.7mph)

02 bugeye: exedy oem clutch, kybAGX struts, momo short-throw shifter, steel braided brake lines, stoptech rotors and stock rims (the 17inch wheel just weighed too much), 14.232 @ 94.75mph

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.