Synthetic everything as of today!

This is a discussion on Synthetic everything as of today! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've been having a tranny problems the last few weeks. Took it to the dealer, they suggest I switch to ...

Synthetic everything as of today!

I've been having a tranny problems the last few weeks. Took it to the dealer, they suggest I switch to high perf. gear oil. So while I had the car up, I figured I'd change motor oil, tranny oil, and rear diff all at once. I changed to Amsoil 75W90 in the tranny and diff. and mobil 10W30 for the engine.

The transmission is 100% better, shifts are smoother, and less vibration.

Overall, the best 85 bucks I've spent in a long time.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper." Ben Franklin

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You said synthetic everything. How about synthetic brake fluid and synthetic power steering fluid?

I have no idea if they even make synthetic power steering fluid. But as soon as I get time to drain my tranny, all fluids in my car will all be synthetic except of the power steering fluid.

I just put in synthetic Amsoil gear lube this weekend, wow, what a world of difference
    -2006 WRX Wagon-

power streering fluid= ATF
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

Originally posted by KurleeDaddeeWRX
    You said synthetic everything. How about synthetic brake fluid and synthetic power steering fluid?

I have no idea if they even make synthetic power steering fluid. But as soon as I get time to drain my tranny, all fluids in my car will all be synthetic except of the power steering fluid.
    I forgot about brake fluid, but anyway I'm too lazy to bleed my brakes. I'll do that when I get some braided SS lines.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper." Ben Franklin

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by BoostedBoxer
    power streering fluid= ATF
    This is probably a stupid questions, but do they even make synthetic ATF??

Originally posted by KurleeDaddeeWRX
    This is probably a stupid questions, but do they even make synthetic ATF??
    Amsoil does.
    -2006 WRX Wagon-

Thumbs up Amsoil

I did the Amsoil tranny, engine, and Rear diff. also. I wasn't impressed with the tranny fluid until about 3-5 days later. Then it started to smooth everything out quite a bit. A friend told me that synthetics need some break in time to work right. Don't know if he was right but I can tell you it shifted way worse after I changed the fluid then about 3-5 days later, it really got more smooth. Very happy. I went to a driving school and autocross after 6 days and things went great(first place in STX and beat the Porshe at the school). Not to bad from a wagon with 4 sensible doors

I wonder why the dealer not recommend using the synthetic oil for my STi. Just picked mine up a couple days ago so have no idea which kind of engine oil is better for the STi application.

I'm planning on changing the oil every 3,000 mile but if I would use the synthetic, would I be able to get away maybe twice as long at least or should I keep it the same?
    1998 SVT Cobra Coupe - 623 RWHP (Silver)
    2001 BMW M5 (LeMans Blue)
    2004 Ducati 999 Monoposto (Red)
    2004 Subaru WRX STi (Platinum Silver)
    2006 BMW 750 Li (Sterling Grey)

I Support ClubWRX
    Check the oil sticky thread, there's actual wear data linked in there from Bob Is The Oil Guy's site. Some data is from older STi cars, most from current WRX cars. Good read.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks a lot for the lead, I'll definitely look into it.
    1998 SVT Cobra Coupe - 623 RWHP (Silver)
    2001 BMW M5 (LeMans Blue)
    2004 Ducati 999 Monoposto (Red)
    2004 Subaru WRX STi (Platinum Silver)
    2006 BMW 750 Li (Sterling Grey)

I'll put another bump in for Amsoil 75W90 AGR. After failing completely to find any 75W90 dino oil, I just bit the bullet and changed to the amsoil. It's been fantastic so far, not a night and day improvement, but certainly noticeable, especially on cold mornings when shifting used to feel like rowing through molasses.
    GMH