Help...Mobil 1 at 33K ?????

This is a discussion on Help...Mobil 1 at 33K ????? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi everyone....now before everyone starts saying "search"...I did, and really didn't find the answer I was looking for. so here's ...

Question Help...Mobil 1 at 33K ?????

Hi everyone....now before everyone starts saying "search"...I did, and really didn't find the answer I was looking for.

so here's the question....I just bought a used 2002 with about 30K on it...I want to switch to Mobil 1, but I'm not sure if it's too late to switch...the cars been running on the real stuff for so long now, I think it might be use to it...

also, if it is safe to switch, should I go 5w30 or 10w30.....I live in pennsylvania (philadelphia area)..it gets kinda cold in the witer (a few weeks this year it was in the single digits...then hot as hell and humid in the summer...normally 90's with high humity).

thought...suggestions...help

thanks in advance

`matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I bought my 2002 with 11,500 miles on it, and changed to Mobil 1 5W-30 right away. I'm at 43,000 with no problems.
    I work in Telford, so we've seen the same weather.

Thanks, so you don't think 33k is too late...thats what I wanted everone to say....

Telford....where are you getting yours changed at..Fredbeans Subaru said they wanted $55 for a change...Mitsu said they can do it for $52....I've always trusted having those guys work on my cars...Hell I worked there for a while....but sears at the Montgomery Mall said they could do it for $42.

I would change it my self...I always have....but my Condo assocation has rules about it...were not aloud to do any maintance to our cars on the property...so I'm kind of S**t out of luck on that one...

My car's used at 32k. I just switched to mobil-1 10w30 synthetic today.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper." Ben Franklin

I Support ClubWRX
    Its never too late to switch to synthetic. But people often argue that there is a point of the engines life that it is too early to switch to synthetic. I switched to synthetic with 1250 miles on the car, and the motor has run real strong now up to 37k miles.

Mobil 1 = teh win!!!!

I change my own. A friend here at work uses Monroe at Rt.113 and County Line Road. They charge around $40 for a change with synthetic.
    Personally, I would never let a dealer/ service center change my oil. If you can, try to find somewhere you can do it yourself.

my car had 17k on it when i switched to m1
    the car ran quieter and smoother, i did this in the winter and the car started up smoother to.
    i would probably put in 10w30 because were coming out of winter
    but i put 5w30 in the winter for better starting
    one thng to keep in mind the convensional oil doesn't clean your engine like syn oil
    so put the M1 in for about 3k and change it to get rid of all the dirt and crap left from the old oil
    then change it every 4500 miles or up to 6000 miles
    and change the oil yourself its cheaper

thats something else I wanted to ask...I've never used Syn. Oil before. so you don't need to change it every 3000 miles? what are the best intervals for changing it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by iup200
    thats something else I wanted to ask...I've never used Syn. Oil before. so you don't need to change it every 3000 miles? what are the best intervals for changing it?
    This is the way I look at it:

A turbocharged car runs a lot hotter than N/A cars. Since the internal heat in the motor is higher, it tends to break down the oil a lot faster. Synthetic oil doesn't break down as fast as dino oil. But I am anal, and I will only allow my car to go for 3000 miles on synthetic between oil changes. Other people change their oil every 4-5K miles. Its up to you.

Originally posted by CAP-E-TAN

and change the oil yourself its cheaper
    Definitely do that. The WRX is one of the easiest cars I've ever changed the oil in. The drainplug and filter are right there in front of you.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper." Ben Franklin

Originally posted by aheineken
    Definitely do that. The WRX is one of the easiest cars I've ever changed the oil in. The drainplug and filter are right there in front of you.
    It makes it even easier to get one of thosesocket type oil filter removers. Otherwise its kindof tough to get your hand on the filter enough to turn it.
    No one will truely be free until nerd persecution ends.