Overdoing break-in babying

This is a discussion on Overdoing break-in babying within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just wanted to get y'alls opinion on this. Can you over-do babying the car when it's being broken in? The ...

I Support ClubWRX

Overdoing break-in babying

Just wanted to get y'alls opinion on this. Can you over-do babying the car when it's being broken in?

The reason I ask is because of this thread:

http://clubwrx.net/forums/showthread...threadid=55535

The guy in that thread had an Evo with several problems, but one of his complaints was that it was "slow". Now, he says he changed the oil twice with synthetic in the first 1000 miles. He had the car towed home so he wouldn't have to drive it on the highway when it was new. He contemplated changing the oil out to synthetic before turning a mile.

Now I know that it's a myth that switching to synthetic early will hurt the car - but you're usually talking about 1k - 3k miles. Not a couple hundred.

So I just want to hear opinions - can you over do it?

C
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Everything that I have ever read has suggested waiting a few thousand before switching to synthetic to allow everything to break in. I waited until about 6k miles to change over to synthetic in my car, no problems so far.
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

I waited 'till 10 K before using Royal Purple synthetic.

Compression test shows engine at upper level of factory specs and the car runs like the wind.
    2007 urban gray STI. KTR Ecutek Re-Flash

I switched to synth right after the recommended break in preiod was over.
    As far as that guys EVO being "slow"...maybe it has a learning ECU that adapted to his break in driving style. Time for a Shiv ECU reset! (Does that work on EVOs?)

hmmm. . .

It's entirely possible this guy did get a lemon. If he was doing everything he said he was, I doubt ten coats of car wax is going to break his transmission.
    In his own words he called himself "extremely anal" when it came to his cars. I would call it more like "extremely misguided."

So what would be the life span of the average engine if it was broken in properly and well maintained? And how much would you reduce that life span if you ignored the break in all together, kept it well maintained and drove "enthusiastically"?

How long are you gonna keep that car anyway?

" "
    2008 Audi A4 Avant 2.0T
    2003 Subaru WRX Cobb Stg 2
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6
    1984 Porsche 928S

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by PKer
    Yeah, I did it to - but this guy had already done two synthetic changes in 1000 miles. That's what I'm getting at - there's being careful and then there's going crazy!
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

okay......okay......and hold on
    the EVO COMES WITH MOBILE ONE FULLY SYNTHETIC 5W30 OIL
    COMES WITH
    COMES WITH
    FACTORY REQUIREMENT
    FACTORY REQUIREMENT
    lets put it this way if i were to buy a used evo i would his

and the car is a very high maintenance car because it uses "special' stuff
    tires have to be rotated at every oil change.....5k
    and sorts of other stuff....
    any way i sell these cars and there nice
    point is that guy is wasting his money on oil changes

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by PKer
    As far as that guys EVO being "slow"...maybe it has a learning ECU that adapted to his break in driving style. Time for a Shiv ECU reset! (Does that work on EVOs?)
    This is exactly what I was thinking. I replaced my oil with synthetic at 1250 miles. Car still runs strong.

I also agree. Maybe his ECU is in granny mode? Maybe he needs to reset the ECU and Drive it Like He Stole It!!!

Personally, I've been running semi-synth (valvoline durablend) since 3000 and plan to switch to full synth at 9000. I figure that if it did not get anough breakin in the first 3000 running semi-synth should do the job till switching to full synth.

As for the dude with that EVO, he should have taken it back to the dealer and *****ed. He obviously never heard of the lemon law.
    WRB 04 WRX 5MT sedan picked up 4/15/03

IMO, YES you can. An engine should be babied for the first 500miles, then you can start to take it higher in the rev band. After 1000miles, drive the car like you intend to drive for the rest of it's life for the best results.

Also, DO NOT switch to synthetic before 10k miles. I can't stress that enough.

-Jim

this guy i know that works at one of the mitsubishi dealerships says that everyone that drives a evo are dissapointed in its performance, but dun realize that it has a factory break in time before it will hit full boost. I havent heard anything about evos like that guy was talkin bout, this guy i know has one and they are built cars.
    05 silver sti

I was going to get my first oil change even though I havnt hit the 3000 mark because I dont drive that much and when I do very short distances and its been like 4 months or so already...however this guy told me that there is no need to go get an oil change even if its over the recommended (3 months) period...he said thats just bull**** that the oil company made up. I told him that ive heard people saying that oil can become bad even if you dont drive it often..but he said that oil will not go bad that quickly..he said that maybe oil wil go bad for a car that is never driven in 1 year...so what do you guys think?

Also from what ive been reading I think it would be better if I switch to synthetic later..so I am not going to go synthetic during my first oil change...I am curious what kind of oil does Subaru put in?