Car Shakes Like MAD...

This is a discussion on Car Shakes Like MAD... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi guys, I purchased a 2004 Black WRX Sedan two weeks ago and I am REALLY enjoying it. My concern ...

Car Shakes Like MAD...

Hi guys,

I purchased a 2004 Black WRX Sedan two weeks ago and I am REALLY enjoying it. My concern involves when I turn off the car. When I turn it off it shakes violently for just a second (it reminds me of when you spin a dreidel and the thing loses momentum, stops spinning and topples over). The car's been driving great and everything has been fine otherwise. I'm just curious if this is normal for the WRX (the transmission is an auto if that matters...)

Thanks a lot.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Bein Im just an old school ol, fart let me ask ya....

Is it the engine your talkin about shakin?

(NOT the body,or tranny,etc? That would be a case for an Exorcisim therfore dial 1-800-For-Pope.... )

Seriously though are you using 91 or higher octane, it "might" be diesiling (slight afterun) if you use "Cheapy" gas or getting gas that is not quite up to the standerds of what I think tends to be a finicky engine.
    In my case I put some "unbrand" 87 Octane in once (just ta see
    how it would run<g>) and the car really got P.Off at me till I run it out!
    It ran like crap and had a slight "tremor" "miss" a few times at idle,low revs,etc and I do remember one wierd instance of a mild afterun,...Not quite as bad as I think you may be talkin about though.

Ya might wanna peek at the motor mounts and see if they are tight (Or have the dealer)...

Reset the E.C.U by takin the neg. battery cable off the battery for an hour or so (Kinda overkill on the time but wont hurt ) then take the car out and drive it for awhile.

Thats about all I got for now, Im sure some of the guys can come up with other ideas.

Wont hurt to run it to the dealer if you dont get an affirmative answer.

Oh, And by the way, The car do,s have some "quircky" little things that ARE normal, So dont fret to much.....to much

You will get most of your little probs answered here so hang loose and dont be shy to ask questions

Welcome aboard

Shotgun

Thanks for the quick reply,
    The car has shook like that every time I have turned it off, and I have been using 91 octane (filled up at a 76 station twice). It is definitely the engine shaking and like I said the car runs great otherwise. It's just a little thing that seems more quirky than anything else...nonetheless it's my first new car and I want to make sure everything runs right. Anyhow, thanks a lot.

I guess no one has an answer yet...

I would just run it by the dealer and tell em whats up, Im sure its nothin big.

And just forget about findin all those dam little "squeeks and rattles" Thats gonna pop up everywhere and drive ya batty tryin to locate/suppress em!!, There harmless, Just annoying...

Part of the car,s personality<GGG>

Shotgun

Yeah I guess I'll just swing it by the dealer at some point in the next week or so...as for rattles I'm pleased to report none so far. Anyhow I'm more concerned with getting off this freaking door ding that someone left me on the FIRST DAY I got the car...parked in an isolated spot, came back and no one was parked next to me but I had a NEW door ding, I guess someone left it, realized they scuffed up a new car, and bolted. Anyhow I'm jacking my own thread here...if someone can offer help with the whole shaking thing, it's much appreciated. Thanks shotgun!

Dent Wizard (or simular) is the thing for that, The guy will come to your house and get the dent/ding out for around $75 per dent.

If your like me, I couldnt live with the ding on there for long!!

I have even thought about going to "Ding" school!!...

LOL, Serious they have one but the dam little tools they sell can run ya a couple of grand to get em all!!
    And it really takes some serious skill to learn the craft......

Look in the YellowPages under "paintless dent removal"

The cool thing is,,...If you wait till ya get more dings (Grrrrrr) the dude wont charge much more if its on the same panal/door/etc to pop the others out while he is there.

Also for paint chips do a web search for "Lankga" touch up fix the stuff is REALLY the best home fix for paint chips!!!

Shot

Shaking is normal. The engine twists to the side and our motor mounts aren't the strongest. Sometimes it will do it at idle too but not to worry...it's just the mount flexing a little as the engine moves. Completely normal and safe
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

Yeah, mine gives a little extra fight when I shut it off. I have heard of many poeple say the same thing. Totally normal AFAIK.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

Originally posted by scooby24
    Shaking is normal. The engine twists to the side and our motor mounts aren't the strongest. Sometimes it will do it at idle too but not to worry...it's just the mount flexing a little as the engine moves. Completely normal and safe
    This is what I figured, but better safe than sorry I suppose (hence my asking about it...). Anyhow, thanks!

I just purchased a '04 Aspen White 5spd Wrx and I havn't even had it for a week yet and it does the same thing when i shut it off and it also shakes when im idling I figured it was normal and after readin this post i feel a whole lot better. Thanks!
    Bubis
    04' Aspen White Wrx
    ~Stock Turbo~
    231 whp
    ??? tq

lol made me feel better too cause my engine shakes and when my car rumbles the whole car shakes cause im catless i think ands my car makes to mcuh noise
    Fadi....
    04' WRX, Stage 4 with fmic R.I.P
    05' WRX STI, 325whp 346wtq @17psi
    MODS
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailboss
    Enough of the bloody titties show.

diddo, i got the shakes

I love the shakes
    02 PSM WRX Cobb Stage 2.5 - SOLD
    05 Stone White SRT4 (CC, 58% Maddog, Gutted DP) SOLD
    2002 Toyota 4runner SR5 4WD - SOLD
    04 BMW 325i
    08 Spark Silver STI - Stage 2 Protuned

its normal BOXER motor pistons swing sideways

Quote Originally Posted by december03
    Yeah I guess I'll just swing it by the dealer at some point in the next week or so...as for rattles I'm pleased to report none so far. Anyhow I'm more concerned with getting off this freaking door ding that someone left me on the FIRST DAY I got the car...parked in an isolated spot, came back and no one was parked next to me but I had a NEW door ding, I guess someone left it, realized they scuffed up a new car, and bolted. Anyhow I'm jacking my own thread here...if someone can offer help with the whole shaking thing, it's much appreciated. Thanks shotgun!
    yeah my new 05 has the shakes, especially at idle, and sometimes at turnoff, but ohh well, other guys with wrx's report the same thing. as for your dent problem, i live north of la, and have a great guy who can do paintless ding/dent removal, i have already had him remove 3 dings, great price and cool guy, pm me to get his info.