Downpipe Install Rear O2 Removal/Reinstall

This is a discussion on Downpipe Install Rear O2 Removal/Reinstall within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've recently purchased a downpipe that I'm gonna install here shortly. I read really good walkthroughs by both Perrin and ...

Downpipe Install Rear O2 Removal/Reinstall

I've recently purchased a downpipe that I'm gonna install here shortly. I read really good walkthroughs by both Perrin and TXS. In the TXS they mention you need a special tool to remove the rear 02 sensor. They specifically state a subaru approved one.

Is this an overkill step. Guys that have done this - ladies too if you are reading - is this a non-issue.

Thanks for your insights in advance.

Para

P.S. I'm beyond excited to kiss two cats goodbye here this month with my new downpipe. heh.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I just used a big a$$ cresent wrench to remove mine. Same goes for previous cars and I never had any problems.

Congrats on the DP
    Last edited by bdoug; 02-29-2004 at 07:54 AM.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Heh many thanks. Good to hear, I figured it was one of those things I could get around but thought I'd check first.

Para

Yeah a 22mm end wrench works fine for the rear o2 sensor. I needed an o2 socket for the front one though, if you ever plan on doing an uppipe or exhaust manifold.
    03' PSM WRX sedan - 326 awhp/303 tq

Ok, good info.

Para

One more tip....disconnect the DP with the O2 still in the hole. You can just detach the harness. It's a lot easier to get out of there with the pipe off the car.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

I just disconnected the O2 sensor at the plug and pulled the whole DP out with the sensor to get it out. I didn't have a big enough of a wrench so I just used some good ol vice grips and my buddy's leg holding down the pipe. Was kinda pissed though when the sensor finally budged. Came out with Stripped threads from hell. Factory idiots must not have known how to thread in a fitting

After that just put on the CEL fix and screwed it into the new DP (with a lot of elbow grease trying to re-thread it)
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

BEFORE YOUR INSTALL:

Please check out my DIY on how to install your Uppipe/Downpipe/Muffler It's got great pictures and step-by-step instructions down to the number of bolts you need to remove and with what size socket wrench:

Uppipe, Downpipe, Muffler INSTALL GUIDE!

I hate to say it, but SEARCH the Tutorials forum!

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

I read your tutorial tubby. Thanks for the tip. I read everything on hear, but after 6 years of business school I pretty much skim everything.

Para

I read your tutorial tubby. Thanks for the tip. I read everything on here, but after 6 years of business school I pretty much skim everything.

Your tutorial was quite useful though I dont remember seeing that particular comment.

Thanks
    Para