Got an estimate on brakes/rotors/calipers.....
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Got an estimate on brakes/rotors/calipers..... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ok guys i went into Tuffy auto to get an estimate for my brakes and i knew that i might ...

Got an estimate on brakes/rotors/calipers.....

ok guys i went into Tuffy auto to get an estimate for my brakes and i knew that i might needed rotors too, but the thing is that i needed calipers too!!! (fronts), and I also need rear brake pads! so long story short, they quote me $$963.46 !!!! Is there a better alternative? for this price i'd rather get sloted rotors, and higher performance calipers, but the thing is that i have the 16inch stock rims, and the thing is that the higher perfomance rotors/calipers will not fit...any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Kiran
    btw...my car has 49,XXX miles on it, so no warranty I presume
    Last edited by DesiWrxPwr81; 02-24-2004 at 04:02 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ok i found better parts online, slotted rotors, Axxis pads, and OEM calipers, for about 360 bux.....i'm a little better now, i'll get them installed at GRD......

I Support ClubWRX
    Odds are they're ripping you off. Unless you've done something to damage them, I seriously doubt you need new calipers. They should last a LONG time between rebuilds and can be rebuilt easily and cheaply indefinitely.

C
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by DesiWrxPwr81
    ok i found better parts online, slotted rotors, Axxis pads, and OEM calipers, for about 360 bux.....i'm a little better now, i'll get them installed at GRD......
    That's a heck of a deal!
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

NEVER go back to Tuffy again. Somebody there thought you were a fool. That price was a real insult.

wow... i dropped 500 bucks on my stoptech stg 2 kit and felt uneasy about how light in the wallet that left me. i'm glad i do my own work

if you can manage a few hours and grab a friend to help bleed it, just replace it all yourself. it's really not very hard thanks to a nice easy brake design. a brake piston pushy thingy (forgot the name). it just pushes the brake piston(s) back into the caliper when you're ready to slip the caliper back on the rotor. operates a lot like half of a clamp.
    05 STi...not stock

my perrin front brakes, pads, lines, calipers, rotors was 699
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

Why on Earth would you need new calipers???

I spent $250 on Goodridge SS lines, Axxis Ultimate front and rear pads, Neo Synth fluid, and speed bleeders.

Do the work yourself, it is very easy, even for a beginner, as long as you take your time.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

New calipers? What a joke. That is a typical brake shop scam. My little civic hatchback has 240k on the clock...and I haven't replaced the calipers once.

2003 WRB Sedan. Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    OMG!!! Do you want me on my knees or bent over? I love you

unless the calipers are pissing out brake fluid, or bound up so bad that brakes wont realease, you dont need new ones.....
    " Moorepower Motorsports - Subaru Maintenance and Mods "

Subaru UN-authorized repair center

"Warrantees voided while you wait"

Project 1: the beginning

Project 1: SOLD

PROJECT 2: Fun begins again

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.