what the....

This is a discussion on what the.... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was going about 125mph, and all of a sudden this squealing begins(wtf). I think my brakes are causing the ...

what the....

I was going about 125mph, and all of a sudden this squealing begins(wtf). I think my brakes are causing the noise..Does anyone have any insight?
    BAT---------

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Maybe it was someone on the side of the road yelling at you that you shouldn't drive that fast? J/K.

Did you happen to look at your tach when you were going that fast and what gear were you in. At those high speeds the gears in the differential are working like hell and that could be it. Or the gears in your tranny. These are just guesses. Don't know. Slow down and drive safe. I would hate to see photos of a WRX that crashed at 125mph.

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

its the side mirrors.... I get the same thing at about 119, folded them in and made a run... no noise. It sounds weird because it seems to hit a resonate(sp) tone with something in the car. It freaked me out the first time it happened.
    '02 Sedan Black (MT)

There are some really old posts talking about this. I think you're hearing wind noise as has been suggested. No need to worry, except that you're driving that fast.
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    its just the way the car was designed. all wrxs will get that whooshing noise at 120 or so. nothing to worry about
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

I Support ClubWRX
    I think that's the reason why the WRX got 2nd place compared to the BMW 328 (or 330?) and the A4 Quatro? Don't worry too much about the noise and focus on the road when you're going that fast! I dont' recommend going that fast on clubwrx.net becuase I want all the members to not having to experience any accidents, on top of that you're putting other people's lives in danger. Check out various road racing organizations out there and they have open track events that you can attend where everything is safe and you're insured. That's where you should push your car to the limit.
    Tim
    Admin

aw blazin, good lookin out. lets keep it safe...

i think i still have the commercial/article memorized... haha.

it was WRX vs. 330xi vs. S4

In the 'competition,' there were three judges in total. The WRX got second place, bringing in two 1st place votes, but one 3rd place vote which is why it lost overall. the S4 got one 1st place vote and two 2nd place votes. The 330xi brought up the rear...

haha i used to make all my roommates be quiet when that commercial came on....

o-|-<) bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh yeah htat's right! The S4 and the 330xi (4wd BMW). Oh well... i have my M2 turboback and when I step on the gas I can hear my turbo sucking in air. I remember watching a best motoring video with a S15 with HUGE turbos flying around on the track, drifting here and there with a loud "SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH~~~ SHHHHHHHHHH~~~~~~~~~ SHHHHHHHHH~~~~~~~~" and it just made my jaw drop. Well... after i work on my brakes and buy my helmet and seats I'll consider a bigger turbo
    Tim
    Admin