Why change drain plug gasket?

This is a discussion on Why change drain plug gasket? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am a newbie so this may be a dumb question: I was reading some posts, saying to change the ...

Why change drain plug gasket?

I am a newbie so this may be a dumb question:
    I was reading some posts, saying to change the drain plug gasket every time. Why is that? I am getting ready to do my second oil change and the gasket looks fine to me. Should I not use it again?
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Why change drain plug gasket?

Originally posted by SubieRex
    I am a newbie so this may be a dumb question:
    I was reading some posts, saying to change the drain plug gasket every time. Why is that? I am getting ready to do my second oil change and the gasket looks fine to me. Should I not use it again?
    Thanks
    i've never changed mine and i don't drip a drop of oil.

dR

In forty years of changing oil, I never changed a drain plug gasket/washer, and didn't even notice the one on my WRX until I started reading posts on this forum.
    I had seen slight dripping on my son's 99 RS, and now I change the washer on all of the Subarus in the family (4 of them), every oil change. They're cheap enough, come 5 to a pack, and will pretty much guarantee that you get the plug tight without risking stripping the threads in the pan.
    I've read here that some of us turn the washer over, and replace it every other change.