When to Switch to Mobil 1?

This is a discussion on When to Switch to Mobil 1? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am coming up on 12,000 miles and I was wondering when would be the best time to switch to ...

When to Switch to Mobil 1?

I am coming up on 12,000 miles and I was wondering when would be the best time to switch to Mobil 1? What would be the best weight and viscosity to use? I live in NC and the winters can get in the 30s (at least). I have been using 5w-30, should i stick with that? One more thing, is there any place besides the subaru dealer to get the oil plug washer?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I changed to Mobil 1 after my first oil change. The rings are broken in enough to do it, or so ive been told/read. I went with a 10w-30 and I ve reead a lot of members on here do the same. I live in NY and our winters arent like in the negatives but they are cold and I havvent had any problems so far.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

Do it now! And there is no reason for you to use 5w30 - go with 10w30.

I changed to M1 0W-40 at about 2500 miles.

But according to Subaru (TIFWIW), you can change after the 1000 mile break-in.

Orig. posted by EIonJess.
    I sent an email to Subaru at mysubaru.com concerning the use of synthetic oil. Here is the response below. Take for what it's worth.

Thank you for contacting the Subaru Web site, and congratulations on the purchase of your '02 Impreza WRX! We hope that you are enjoying this exciting model!

As for synthetic oil, this is your decision. Our Technical Services Department advised that if you do decide to use synthetic oil, that you always use it because your engine will become accustomed to it. The same goes if you decide to use 'regular' oil.

We recommend that you first change the oil in your WRX at 3,000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first. We STRONGLY recommend that you at least wait until the break-in period of 1,000 miles is surpassed.

The break-in period of the engine requires that a given amount of friction exists between components. The piston rings need to rub against the cylinder wall to break-in or finely tune the machine mating between the two metal parts. To properly seat all mechanical components, a certain amount of friction is required between the metal parts. Since synthetic oil has a lower friction rating than regular oil, we recommend that Subaru owners wait until after the 1,000 mile break-in period to switch to synthetic engine oil.

Synthetic engine oils can be used in our engines if the user follows the engine oil recommendations prescribed in the Owner's Manual. Subaru has not tested the compatibility of all synthetic oils with engine seals, but the petroleum industry does adhere to standards for the refining process which meet Subaru requirements. Subaru does not guarantee the performance of any brand of any engine oil.

Engine Oil Guidelines: - only use engine oil that meets or exceeds the API classification designated in the Owner's Manual for the vehicle - only use engine oil that meets the VISCOSITY requirements for the ambient temperatures under which the vehicle will be operated as outlined in the Owner's Manual - THE ENGINE OIL MUST BE CHANGED AT THE INTERVALS SPECIFIED IN THE WARRANTY AND MAINTENANCE BOOKLET FOR THE VEHICLE. SOME SYNTHETIC OIL REFINERS RECOMMEND EXTENDED OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. SUBARU DOES NOT RECOMMEND ANY DEVIATION FROM THE SPECIFIED INTERVALS IN THE OWNER'S MANUAL.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

doens't get cold enough to run anything less than 10W 30 in NC, but at 12K miles, i wouldn't switch weight now. you should stick w/ the 5 because you've been running it for so long. also, switch to M1 now. if you wait any longer, i wouldn't switch to syn b/c you'd have been running the dino oil for too long.

read the oil filter part number sticky in this forum as well. oil grade is important, but filter grade is often the weak link that people ignore.

i run 5W30 up here in boston. it gets FRICKING COLD! i switched over at 2K. my first oil change.

dR