coming up on 3k miles, got some oil ?'s
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on coming up on 3k miles, got some oil ?'s within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've been reading these debates about whether or not to go synthetic. And I understand the debate from both sides, ...

coming up on 3k miles, got some oil ?'s

I've been reading these debates about whether or not to go synthetic. And I understand the debate from both sides, but I'm having trouble taking a side and am looking for some more technical arguments or advice. Also, what are the recommendations on the filter?

Also, anything else I should do?

Finally, is there really no gas cap holder or is it I'm missing mine? Seems kinda cheap to pay 24k for a car and it has no gas cap holder More importantly, does anyone experience when they fill a tank that almost everytime it overfills and spills out gas? What's up!?

Anyway, thanks for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i found that when the pump auto shuts off the first time to just quit.
    Dont try to top off the tank or it will sometimes overflow.

I can only comment on the gas question but I heard you should go atleast one or two oil changes on normal oil before making the switch to synthetic, I will probably do that but I still have a little time, only at 2350 miles. Back to gas, I just let the cap hang on the little plastic string. Put it down slowly so it does not scratch the paint. Also I have to agree with SobeWRX, once it clicks off for the first time just stop. I tried to put some more in one time when I first got the car because my old car could go for another gallon after it clicked off and wtih the wrx it poured out almost immediately.

Some people say wait until 15,000 miles before you switch to synthetic, others have said 3000, 7500, etc. I started running synthetic at 3000 miles, Mobil 1 10W30......
    2011 SWP Premium Hatchback
    Flapatax Mud Flaps
    Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings
    Cobb AP Stage 1 (for now)

My personal recommendation, take it for what it's worth:
    Don't change to synthetic oil until atleast your second recommended oil change (7500miles).

I waited until the third change and used Mobil1 5W-30 at 13,000 miles.

I rarely pump my gas since I buy it in Jersey, but when I was in Wellsboro for STPR, I tried to squeeze a little more gas in tank and got a shoe full of 93 octane! The nozzle didn't click off again it just kept pumping!!!!! Not cool. Usually when I pump in PA, I stop on the second auto-off, but when there is no second auto-off SPLASH!!

Worst part about buying gasoline in NJ, sometimes I get a tank full of regular. I hate it when the dude doesn't speak English. I yelled at the first guy who did it to me, but I was like, "What's the point?" He couldn't understand me anyway!

FYI, I'm moving this maintenance and service now.

-Jim

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    I rarely pump my gas since I buy it in Jersey
    Damned gas station unions!
    2011 SWP Premium Hatchback
    Flapatax Mud Flaps
    Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings
    Cobb AP Stage 1 (for now)

I usually lay the cap across the top of the nozzle as it's pumping. It's not my 'usual' routine, but I'm learning to do it now. That way it doesn't accidentally touch the paint.

tan
    Originally posted by Flyboy

Damned gas station unions!
    But gas (and diesel) is cheaper in Jersey

RE: Synthetic- if you're going to switch, wait until at least the first oil change- I'm not going to- my last car (2000 GTP) had synthetic and I got tired of paying for it at Jiffy Lube-
    RE: Gas- yeah, I've had the gas spray on me too- I just don't top it off anymore-really pissed me off too- got on the paint, the pants, the shoes-

Re: coming up on 3k miles, got some oil ?'s

Originally posted by hokieitr

Finally, is there really no gas cap holder or is it I'm missing mine? Seems kinda cheap to pay 24k for a car and it has no gas cap holder More importantly, does anyone experience when they fill a tank that almost everytime it overfills and spills out gas? What's up!?
    Haha, I can only laught at this....since I previously owned a 68' volvo 122s wagon...now you think your problem is bad?
    The gas tank is located in the back (normal) but the cap is located almost at the bottom of the body...this made it so you couldn't put the nossle in and walk away (it would fall out) so I had to stand there and hold the sucker till it filled...and when it filled, EVERYTIME it would spill gas all over the back corner of the car and on my sandle covered feet, kinda sucked....oh and there was no plastic string/gas cap holder..just the top of my car

You say the ga cap scratches the paint? I have the WRX wagon and the tather for the cap allows it to hang below the wheel well- the cap never touches the paint- maybe get a longer tether?

I just switched to synthetic MObil 1 15w50 at 12,000 miles for maximum heat performance for the summer. I'll probably go to 5w30 in the winter time. I am used to laying the gas cap inside the gas compartment area or use it hold the pump nozzle. But with extra work to wipe that area .

The pump has overfilled on me once before because I tried to top it off. After some trials and errors, depending on pump speed, there is no such thing as topping the WRX off 95% of the time.
    2002 Rally Blue WRX - Few mods

Originally posted by Sherb
    I just switched to synthetic MObil 1 15w50 at 12,000 miles for maximum heat performance for the summer. I'll probably go to 5w30 in the winter time. I am used to laying the gas cap inside the gas compartment area or use it hold the pump nozzle. But with extra work to wipe that area .

The pump has overfilled on me once before because I tried to top it off. After some trials and errors, depending on pump speed, there is no such thing as topping the WRX off 95% of the time.
    sherb the 15 weight is very thick, and takes a lot longer to get out of the pan into the cycle. make sure to let her warm up before engaging boost. also, you really shouldn't switch weights of oil. stick with one for the life of the car.

the pump has spilt out on me too. when that swucker clicks off, IT'S DONE! my old corrolla could take another 1/2 gallon, but betty is full on the first click. it doens't make a difference, the needle is far above "F" after one click.

dR

Originally posted by dark_rex

sherb the 15 weight is very thick, and takes a lot longer to get
    dR
    Doesn't oil weight correspond to temperature? I thought the lower the number, the less viscous the oil.
    Thanks,
    Ali

5w-30 = 5 weight oil acting as a 30 weight when it heats... so it's very thin when it's cool and gets heavier when it's heated.

So, you can see why 20w-50 for example might be a problem because the oil is so heavy and hard to get moving through the system when it's cool.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.