coming up on 3k miles, got some oil ?'s - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on coming up on 3k miles, got some oil ?'s within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Prodrive recommends 5w-30 Motul for street cars and 5w-40 for Group N rally cars....

I Support ClubWRX
    Prodrive recommends 5w-30 Motul for street cars and 5w-40 for Group N rally cars.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

there is a gas cap holder

the gas cap is made to fit over the gas cover with the tether on the inside part and the screws of the cap facing outward like the picture. seems to fit perfectly and snugly. I am sure it was made this way for this purpose.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0617.jpg  

5w30

the 5 does not mean it acts like a 30 weight oil! it does mean it has better pourability at cold temps than a higher (ie 10 etc) oil. But what a 30 weight oil does has nothing to do (at least from a testing standards point of view where it is tested at 100 deg C) with the pourability at low temps.

Change to synthetic. Porsche requires it. They make boxers. How can superior lubrication hurt?

Originally posted by russ
    Change to synthetic. Porsche requires it. They make boxers. How can superior lubrication hurt?
    Which synthetic oil does Porsche use in its boxer engines???

"Every car produced in the factory in Stuttgart gets its first oil from Mobil 1. And that means that all our cars and engines are developed with that product."
    Herbert Ampferer, Director,
    Porsche Motorsports
    Jland

Originally posted by jland67
    "Every car produced in the factory in Stuttgart gets its first oil from Mobil 1. And that means that all our cars and engines are developed with that product."
    Herbert Ampferer, Director,
    Porsche Motorsports
    That's an important point. Porsche designs for Mobil1, Subaru does not. I stand by my recommendation to wait until ATLEAST the 7500 mile oil change to make the switch to synthetic. This GUARANTEES a proper long term break in. I personally made the switch at 13,000 miles. Changing to synthetic before an engine is fully broken in can lead to oil consumption later in the engines life, sometimes it even starts as early as 20,000 miles!!!

-Jim

I've read just the opposite; that the later you change to synthetics, the more likely you are to experience oil leaks.
    FUNKED1
    GO PETTER & TOMMI!!!

Originally posted by FUNKED1
    I've read just the opposite; that the later you change to synthetics, the more likely you are to experience oil leaks.
    Oil consumption is caused by blow by, not by a leak.

Synthetic oil doesn't maintain gaskets as well as conventional oil. For these reason, many high mileage cars that are switched to synthetic suddenly develop horrible leaks. Ask tan about his Camry!

-Jim

Originally posted by dark_rex
    Sherb the 15 weight is very thick, and takes a lot longer to get out of the pan into the cycle. make sure to let her warm up before engaging boost. also, you really shouldn't switch weights of oil. stick with one for the life of the car.
    Yeah, I always let it warm up a while before getting on the throttle. I will probably switch back to 5W30 or 10W30 synthetic on the next change. I have to admit that I am getting higher MPG (almost stock highway 26-27). I have to do more research to see what is best instead of just listening to the RX7/MR2/300ZX guys out in my area.
    2002 Rally Blue WRX - Few mods

should have checked here first

I now have 5200 miles on my WRX, but I changed the oil at 2600 miles the first time. The service writer didn't say a thing when I asked about synthetics (of course he wouldn't, more money for them).

Anyway, I got the sythetic at 2600 miles and am going to change at 5600 for 6000 mile service. Have I done irreparable damage to my engine???

Thanks for the info,

Steve
    When restoring my first "ride", a 71 Ford Torino, I used cut up beer cans as backer for bondo. Theory was, aluminum wouldn't rust, so why not?

Re: should have checked here first

Originally posted by maxpower
    I now have 5200 miles on my WRX, but I changed the oil at 2600 miles the first time. The service writer didn't say a thing when I asked about synthetics (of course he wouldn't, more money for them).

Anyway, I got the sythetic at 2600 miles and am going to change at 5600 for 6000 mile service. Have I done irreparable damage to my engine???

Thanks for the info,

Steve
    I sent an email to Subarau at mysubaru.com concerning the use of synthetic oil. Here is the response below. Take for what it's worth.

Thank you for contacting the Subaru Web site, and congratulations on the purchase of your '02 Impreza WRX! We hope that you are enjoying this exciting model!

As for synthetic oil, this is your decision. Our Technical Services Department advised that if you do decide to use synthetic oil, that you always use it because your engine will become accustomed to it. The same goes if you decide to use 'regular' oil.

We recommend that you first change the oil in your WRX at 3,000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first. We STRONGLY recommend that you at least wait until the break-in period of 1,000 miles is surpassed.

The break-in period of the engine requires that a given amount of friction exists between components. The piston rings need to rub against the cylinder wall to break-in or finely tune the machine mating between the two metal parts. To properly seat all mechanical components, a certain amount of friction is required between the metal parts. Since synthetic oil has a lower friction rating than regular oil, we recommend that Subaru owners wait until after the 1,000 mile break-in period to switch to synthetic engine oil.

Synthetic engine oils can be used in our engines if the user follows the engine oil recommendations prescribed in the Owner's Manual. Subaru has not tested the compatibility of all synthetic oils with engine seals, but the petroleum industry does adhere to standards for the refining process which meet Subaru requirements. Subaru does not guarantee the performance of any brand of any engine oil.

Engine Oil Guidelines: - only use engine oil that meets or exceeds the API classification designated in the Owner's Manual for the vehicle - only use engine oil that meets the VISCOSITY requirements for the ambient temperatures under which the vehicle will be operated as outlined in the Owner's Manual - THE ENGINE OIL MUST BE CHANGED AT THE INTERVALS SPECIFIED IN THE WARRANTY AND MAINTENANCE BOOKLET FOR THE VEHICLE. SOME SYNTHETIC OIL REFINERS RECOMMEND EXTENDED OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. SUBARU DOES NOT RECOMMEND ANY DEVIATION FROM THE SPECIFIED INTERVALS IN THE OWNER'S MANUAL.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

thanks for that bit o' info...I will rest easier now knowing that I may not have doomed my engine to damnation like I thought. It's a good feeling...

Steve
    When restoring my first "ride", a 71 Ford Torino, I used cut up beer cans as backer for bondo. Theory was, aluminum wouldn't rust, so why not?

Originally posted by maxpower
    thanks for that bit o' info...I will rest easier now knowing that I may not have doomed my engine to damnation like I thought. It's a good feeling...

Steve
    I actually emailed Subaru because I had heard from other Subie owners around here that using synthetic oil would void the warranty of the motor. I thought that was the craziest thing I have ever heard.

I have not put in synthetic oil as of yet into my WRX. I have a case of Mobil1 5w-30 in my garage. I'll probably wait until my second oil change to put it in.

i had the mechs put in 5w30 wehen i went in to get my 1000mile complimentary oil change. The mechanic told me strait up that instead of bringing it in @ 3000, i could come in @ 5000 as the synthetic lasts longer. Since my wrx already has champagne tastes (93 octane), it might as well eat some filet mignon mobil 1 from now on.

-c
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.