? about storing my wrx

This is a discussion on ? about storing my wrx within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Does anyone know the proper protocol for storing their vehicle for 3 - 6 month intervals. I will soon be ...

Question ? about storing my wrx

Does anyone know the proper protocol for storing their vehicle for 3 - 6 month intervals. I will soon be doing a travel job and will need to store it for a few months and was wondering what all needed to be done. thanx

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

CHANGE YOUR OIL EVERY 3 MONTHS!!!! I cannot stress that enough. Oil causes oil leaks. The additives in oil decay over time weather you drive your car or not, and when they decay they eat through seals. Other than that - just cover it to protect the paint, and you might want to disconnect the battery becasue it will discharge if left connected - which will cause corrosion at the terminals and might make it hard to start.

Oh and one last thing, soemtimes small animals will make little homes in your engine compartment, or worse, your intake! (yikes) This is bad. A cover should help, but its best to keep it where theres not a bunch of critteres crawling around. Ill spare you the details of the car that was left for the winter and a little mouse made its home right in the A/C fan. Summer came, the owner goes to turn on the A/C and heard a funny little sound.... Luckily, I didnt have to clean it up.....

speed safely,

Joe
    merlin916@aol.com

Personally, I'd think about putting the car up on jack stands so the tires won't get flat spots. You still want the weight on the suspension though. I think I saw that on some classic car show, about storing classic cars.

Chicken

I heard the same thing at one time but wasnt sure if the cars nowadays needed to have that done to them. I was curious about fluid replacement i.e. if I should run synthetic before shut down etc. I was trying to get a consensus to see if anyone else had heard or ever had to store theirs for extended periods of time. the owners manual dosent speak much of it
    Thanx for all that have answered

You guys are missing the most important thing, the fuel, you have to add fuel stabilizer. Wait....I think its called fuel stabilizer not sure, forgot. But check into that. Very Important, I had to do that on my motorcycle when I stored it during the winter.
    La Fee Verte
    Subaru 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan

Actually, check the owners manual. I believe that there is some info in there about it.

Aside from that...

Fuel stabilizer - a must. Better yet (imho), drain the gas tank. No gas to worry about going bad.

Jack stands - Don't know if the suspension is the best place for it. I would personally do it under the frame, because I don't see what damage having no suspension load would put on it.

Oil - Change it before you leave. Should be good for 3-6 months of storage

Covering - Preferably this would be in a garage, but put some cover over it. You may want to put it near your house for extra protection, and away from trees (in case it decides to fall on your car)

Paint - I'd wash/wax your car. The wax would help to get the muck off your car when you get back.

As an aside, if you can get someone to drive your car once a week, that would be ideal IMHO. No better way than to actually use it..

Do you have any family members that can drive your car for you during the time you are gone?

I would say use regular oil to store your car. Change it when you put it away, change it when you take it out of storage. Regular oil is better for gaskets and seals than synthetic.

Fuel stabilizer and an absolutely FULL gas tank (to avoid condensation in the fuel tank, which can lead to corrosion).

-Jim