Oil leak from drain plug

This is a discussion on Oil leak from drain plug within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just a few days ago i changed my oil in my car and it was today when i saw a ...

Question Oil leak from drain plug

Just a few days ago i changed my oil in my car and it was today when i saw a oil spot on my garage floor. looking unnder the car, i found out that oil is leaking very very slowley from my drain plug. So, i thightened it slightly and thought that should would solve my problem. Well as you can guess im still leaking oil. Anyone know what the problem is??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

is or was there any kind of gasket on the plug? that would be my guess..........
    vendeta2k
    Accessport + COBB SF Intake = BEST MOD EVAR!!!!!

or did you replace the drain plug gasket? They aren't reusable.
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

the drain plug gaskets aren't reusable?? So when you get your oil changed they put a new gasket on every time?
    vendeta2k
    Accessport + COBB SF Intake = BEST MOD EVAR!!!!!

Im not sure, is there a gasket? when i changed my oil, the drain plug sort of shot off in to my oil pan. so i have no idea. there could have been one and i wouldnt have noticed it. I guess i better call subaru.

Subaru uses a crush washer on the oil drain plug. It is recommended that you change it every time but some people reuse it one or two times. Still other people just get a Fumoto valve and never have to worry about it.

Im positive they have them. And yes, they need to be replaced every time.
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

I Support ClubWRX
    There's your problem.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Ic ic... thanks a lot guys. better go pick up some of those washers than.

I Support ClubWRX
    Happens all the time. Get a handful of crush washers to last you. Make sure to put it on the drain plug right side up. You don't have to do a full oil change. On a completely cold motor, keep the dip stick in and the oil cap on, remove the drain plug slowly until it starts dripping into a pan, then *quickly* pull it off all the way and seal the hole with your thumb. Place a washer on the plug, *quickly* thread the plug back in, wipe up the mess, check that you didn't cross-thread the plug in your haste, tighten the plug, top off the oil (you'll have let some out...), and there you go.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

hi guys just a thought about that oil leak
    you can get rubber/ plastic replacement washers @ Lowes and they are pretty cheap too
    also make sure you have the right torque on the plug about 5-7 foot pound...

I Support ClubWRX
    Dunno about with those Lowes washers but the servince manual gives a torque spec of 33 ft-lbs. I'd get the right washer and do it right - it's not something you really want to F with.

C
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm with GV27.

The works washer is a "double" style crush type, designed to keep you from stripping the sump threads and keep the oil from leaking out regardless. As you tighten, one layer of the washer collapses onto the other -- that's why they're a one shot deal.

A normal copper washer or even a synthetic one would help sealing, but would not protect the threads. I recommend buying a handful of Subaru washers from the dealer and having them around the house.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yup..yup... went to the subes dealership and the parts dude gave me a couple of those washers, (no charge) and as soon as i smashed home i threw that thang on and no leak at all anymore. Although that lowes deal sounds more easy, i think im going to stick with those crush washers and feel more confident when i reach the red... Thanks for all the useful advice.