WRX engine Oil Consumption?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on WRX engine Oil Consumption? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I checked my oil today 1300 miles after its first oil change and it was about 1/4 quart low. I ...

I Support ClubWRX

Unhappy WRX engine Oil Consumption?

I checked my oil today 1300 miles after its first oil change and it was about 1/4 quart low. I got scared for a second. Is this really normal. I switched to synthetic at 2500 miles. I am now running 5w-30 Mobil 1 full synth. I did run the motor for a moment after the new oil was in to check it. Maybe it didn't get into the nooks and crannies yet when I checked it? I will be checking it a lot more often. But since our engines run a lot hotter than most engines would it be normal for some oil to burn off? I also broke in the motor like normal never revving once over 4K until 1000 miles on it. Anyone know?
    Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    BUMP!!!!!

My engine consumes no oil what-so-ever. I waited until 13,600 miles to change my oil to synthetic. I run Mobil1 5W-30.

Top it off and keep an eye on it. The engine should take 4.9 quarts with a filter change. Maybe it just wasn't full when you changed it.

-Jim

I wouldn't know, It's a brand new car, I get the oil changed every 4000 miles. If it losses oil the dealership should tell me or they will be fixing a problem down the road. I drive alot now, I have to get oil changed aleast once a month, and I ask them to check the level first. Haven't heard anything bad yet.

Good Luck
    Justin
    Good judgement comes from experience,
    and experience comes from bad judgement.

I Support ClubWRX
    Did you check it before then and see it all the way to the top? Maybe it was that way from the start? 1/4 qt low is not "Low" - the range is a full quart.

I have heard of motors consuming a little when new - but that's on older motors (like 60's V8s) and race motors. I think before the rings fully seat you get some blow-by.

Mine consumes 0.

Chris

edit: oh sorry, it might help if I actually read the post I am responding too! Did you let the engine sit for a few minutes to let the oil drain down?
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I Support ClubWRX
    I have been checking it for 3 weeks now, every couple of days. It is fine. I was just a little suprised to actually see the dipstick read a 1/4 quart low. And yes, I did fill the oil filter with oil before intalling it. I must have not filled it all the way when doing the oil change. Plus as soon as I put all the oil in, 4.8 quarts I think, I turned the car on to let it circulate and then check the oil. Next time I will do that, and then let it sit for a few hours to let all the oil drain to the bottom of the oil pan before I take my measurement. But its all good now. Thanks for the comments.

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.