WRX engine Oil Consumption?

This is a discussion on WRX engine Oil Consumption? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I checked my oil today 1300 miles after its first oil change and it was about 1/4 quart low. I ...

I Support ClubWRX

Unhappy WRX engine Oil Consumption?

I checked my oil today 1300 miles after its first oil change and it was about 1/4 quart low. I got scared for a second. Is this really normal. I switched to synthetic at 2500 miles. I am now running 5w-30 Mobil 1 full synth. I did run the motor for a moment after the new oil was in to check it. Maybe it didn't get into the nooks and crannies yet when I checked it? I will be checking it a lot more often. But since our engines run a lot hotter than most engines would it be normal for some oil to burn off? I also broke in the motor like normal never revving once over 4K until 1000 miles on it. Anyone know?
    Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    BUMP!!!!!

My engine consumes no oil what-so-ever. I waited until 13,600 miles to change my oil to synthetic. I run Mobil1 5W-30.

Top it off and keep an eye on it. The engine should take 4.9 quarts with a filter change. Maybe it just wasn't full when you changed it.

-Jim

I wouldn't know, It's a brand new car, I get the oil changed every 4000 miles. If it losses oil the dealership should tell me or they will be fixing a problem down the road. I drive alot now, I have to get oil changed aleast once a month, and I ask them to check the level first. Haven't heard anything bad yet.

Good Luck
    Justin
    Good judgement comes from experience,
    and experience comes from bad judgement.

I Support ClubWRX
    Did you check it before then and see it all the way to the top? Maybe it was that way from the start? 1/4 qt low is not "Low" - the range is a full quart.

I have heard of motors consuming a little when new - but that's on older motors (like 60's V8s) and race motors. I think before the rings fully seat you get some blow-by.

Mine consumes 0.

Chris

edit: oh sorry, it might help if I actually read the post I am responding too! Did you let the engine sit for a few minutes to let the oil drain down?
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I Support ClubWRX
    I have been checking it for 3 weeks now, every couple of days. It is fine. I was just a little suprised to actually see the dipstick read a 1/4 quart low. And yes, I did fill the oil filter with oil before intalling it. I must have not filled it all the way when doing the oil change. Plus as soon as I put all the oil in, 4.8 quarts I think, I turned the car on to let it circulate and then check the oil. Next time I will do that, and then let it sit for a few hours to let all the oil drain to the bottom of the oil pan before I take my measurement. But its all good now. Thanks for the comments.

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)