Cold Weather=Fuel Smell. Any ideas?

This is a discussion on Cold Weather=Fuel Smell. Any ideas? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey peeps, I'm living up here in Minnesota, and the weather has been pretty cold for the last few days ...

Unhappy Cold Weather=Fuel Smell. Any ideas?

Hey peeps,

I'm living up here in Minnesota, and the weather has been pretty cold for the last few days (10 degrees F or below) and I've noticed that there is an overpowering smell of fuel coming out of my 02 WRX.

I also noticed when I open the hood that there is a some type of vapor rising out of the center-left side of the engine (I included a picture pointing out where its coming from.)

I'm just worried that this could be a really bad situation. Is this a known issue? Any speculation on what this could be? Sorry I can't give you more detail. If I had an engine diagram (so if you know where I can find one, let me know.) I could tell you specifically where the vapor is rising from. But I am still a newbie at this.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails engine%20may%202002.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It's a known problem, and your dealer should take care of it at no charge. Here's a NASIOC thread that shows the pertinent TSB.

NHTSA Launches 2nd 2002 WRX Defect Investigation - Fuel Odor/Leak

hah! I knew it. Thanks for your help!

I Support ClubWRX
    Just to complete this reference, here's the TSB posted here. (same as what's in that NASIOC thread).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tsb.jpg  
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

i went to my dealership with the above sheet and i told them that i also smell this alot in a cold weather. They checked the clamps and said that in order to perform a whole replacement of the hoses they need to have car overnight and verify that the problem does occur because it is time consuming for them to make a replacement and they need to know for sure. But i don't have a way to leave a car there and not have it next day. Bastards!
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

Originally posted by rallymaniac
    i went to my dealership with the above sheet and i told them that i also smell this alot in a cold weather. They checked the clamps and said that in order to perform a whole replacement of the hoses they need to have car overnight and verify that the problem does occur because it is time consuming for them to make a replacement and they need to know for sure. But i don't have a way to leave a car there and not have it next day. Bastards!

you think thats bad? the closest subaru dealer to me is a little over 270 miles... how do i you think i'm going to coup (i spell that right?)

You just made my day!

Thanks for posting this topic...I have been getting this smell too in my '02 and it has been driving me nuts and when I explained it to my local Subaru dealership they thought I was crazy for smelling fuel in the cabin with the heater on. Rat bastards!

oh damn guess i have this problem too... i've been smelling fuel in the cabin recently... but i have also been smelling oil (once) too... any idea?!

Perhaps we should call subaru and tell them that these problems are not in our mind or they would not have service bulletins/notes about them. As such it becomes a hassle when the dealer wants to hold the vehicle overnight at our expense. Servicing issues are a good deterent to purchasing vehicles. I'm thinking of buying a honda for my next vehicle.
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

just took mine in... already fixed but since i live out of town i won't get a chance to go get it til this saturday... so all week i get to drink a damn hynudai accent... man i'm gonna destroy (purposely) this damn thing... stupid FWD