Replacing All 4 Tires
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Replacing All 4 Tires within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I own a Sub WRX. I recently got a flat tire and Les Schwab explained that to replace one tire, ...

Unhappy Replacing All 4 Tires

I own a Sub WRX. I recently got a flat tire and Les Schwab explained that to replace one tire, you must change all the tires on a Suby due to the AWD. Is this correct?? Or do they think I'm a chick?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Replacing All 4 Tires

Originally posted by Lauriemb87
    I own a Sub WRX. I recently got a flat tire and Les Schwab explained that to replace one tire, you must change all the tires on a Suby due to the AWD. Is this correct?? Or do they think I'm a chick?
    That would be recommended, but only necessary if there is a noticible amount of tread missing from the remaining 3 tires. If they are close to new, then you could PROBABLY get away with just one. I would replace them all with something better than RE-92's, because they SUCK. Run a search on "tires" and see if you can find some recommendations for stock tire replacements.

Good luck
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

replace ethier the the front 2 or the rear 2
    replace all 4 is bs

I Support ClubWRX
    No, it's not. If the tires are really warn you're gonne ruin the center diff just replacing the fronts or rears.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Originally posted by GV27
    No, it's not. If the tires are really warn you're gonne ruin the center diff just replacing the fronts or rears.
    Exactly, it is even in the manual!! Like anybody actually reads the manual

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

Re: Replacing All 4 Tires

Originally posted by Lauriemb87
    You can replace all four or get the new one shaved to the same tread depth as the others.

-Jim

Re: Re: Replacing All 4 Tires

Originally posted by PPMotorsports
    You can replace all four or get the new one shaved to the same tread depth as the others.

-Jim
    Seems like such a waste doesn't it?
    skidpad kid: you're the BOMB
    Shard of me: i know

Joshiscookin: Hey fragment.

I would Definitely do all 4.

I thought the same thing. I had a flat on the front pass. side. Firestone replaced the front 2. A week later, on a light coat of rain, my car spun out on me going about 30 mph on a 90deg. bend. It first oversteered, then I overcorrected, then it 180'd back the other way. Boom into some guardrail, $4500 in damage.

That backs weren't bad (they were the stockers), but the dealer told me the difference in the wheel diameters is what caused the problem.

I know it seems wasteful, but so is paying more for insurance and having to pay the $500 deductible.

I actually work and at Les Schwab in Portland and that is true. The tires must be within 3/32nds of tread depth of each other or it can cause damage to the drivetrain. They must also all be the same brand and tread design because of variance in casing sizes. It's not just subies, but all awd vehicles.

so how big a problem is this?? i replaced one tire not too long ago, but if i am going to screw the car up, i can go get it fixed - will any tire shop just shave the tread for you? I would rather do that then get a whole new set right now.......
    - DC
    "Let me never be accused of standing between a Charlestonian and his drink" - J. Kuhn

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by GunsNF'nRoses

I thought the same thing. I had a flat on the front pass. side. Firestone replaced the front 2. A week later, on a light coat of rain, my car spun out on me going about 30 mph on a 90deg. bend. It first oversteered, then I overcorrected, then it 180'd back the other way. Boom into some guardrail, $4500 in damage.

That backs weren't bad (they were the stockers), but the dealer told me the difference in the wheel diameters is what caused the problem.
    I can see that. With different diameters the center diff will be slipping all the time and thus locking up all the time. That could definitely make things squirly on slick roads.

C
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

same question

i just replaced one front tire as well after a pot hole incident. what happens to the drive train? how long does it take for something to be damaged?

Replacing one blown tire and shaving it seems like such a waste, but it's probably the most cost effective solution. The funny thing about the tire sizes is the question about just how much the fronts have to match the rears. The thing is that I believe the manual says to measure the sizes of the tires without weight on them, but what happens if the sidewall strength and the pressure in them are off, plus add some temperature differences and is it possible to be out of the required range? What happens if the back end is weighed down with junk and you fill up with gas and it gets warm enough for the fronts to get some bolstering but the rears are kept down by weight.. what happens then?

I sure hope the system is strong enough to deal with a good bit of difference, if not a it would kind of suck.
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

Originally posted by GunsNF'nRoses

I know it seems wasteful, but so is paying more for insurance and having to pay the $500 deductible.
    Whenever you have to replace 2 tires, the new tires should ALWAYS go to the rear (even on front drive vehicles). Having less grib in the rear means it will most likely oversteer, which is tougher to correct then understeer. You'd think the tire shop would know this
    '03 WRX
    '03 SV650

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by NJwrbT-WRX
    Exactly, it is even in the manual!! Like anybody actually reads the manual

-joe
    I'm going to have to read that manual someday.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.