Wrx reliablility? My RSX blows.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Wrx reliablility? My RSX blows. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Would anyone be able to tell me some of the most common problems owners have with their wrx's? I'm mean ...

Thumbs down Wrx reliablility? My RSX blows.

Would anyone be able to tell me some of the most common problems owners have with their wrx's? I'm mean stock factory problems.

MY RSX type-s has a laundry list of problems and i only got 10,000 miles on it. I bought it over the wrx because i thought it would be more reliable in the long run (no offense).

Honda has taken a step down with their quality control on their new models and it sucks. Just look at the RSX club forums and you'll see.

All I've seen from this forum is that the wrx eats a bit of oil and super cold starting is a concern. I'm thinking about taking a loss and trading it in for a wrx but I need something that will last and won't constantly drain my wallet down the road.

Thanks for any help. And please don't tell me to go buy a camry.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Are you getting a new one or a bugeye?

What ever it is, congrats. I think you'll like it. Dealling with SOA is a bi+ch though.

Ive had my 02 for 36K miles now and it doesn't eat any oil. It also fires right up in 10 degree weather.

My biggest complaint are the rattles. They drive me insane. The seatbelt sliders are poorly designed and rattle constantly.

The other problem many have had is the tranny. It is weak. If you dont pound on it too hard it should last the life of the car though.

- Peter
    No one will truely be free until nerd persecution ends.

what kinda probs does your rsx got?
    04 WRX Black no options!
    Helix up/downpipe, HKS catback & Bov, autometer gauges and MRT shortshifter, Bronze Rota SDRs, UTEC, tein SS coilovers, HKS type1 turbo timer, 6000K HIDs, JDM spec C front/rear lips, 20% tint
    to be installed: Mines Spoiler

Thanks for all the replies. I was thinking about buying a new one, especially for the warranty and that noone has beaten on it yet. How is subaru dealer service when you bring the car in for warranty stuff? Are they bull****ters and try to get out of stuff?

As for my RSX problems, here I go and vent... there's the famous 2nd and 3rd gear grind that acura cannot fix no matter how many times they rebuild your tranny(there have been a few online petitions to send to acura for this)

A groan in the clutch in 1st or reverse (also vey common for people)

Bad power window mechanisms. The drivers side already blew up on me once and then it rained like hell 5 minutes later. I've had them both realigned and they still don't operate smoothly like every other late-model freakin car out there can!

Rear view mirror vibrates and view is blurry

Metallic knock/grind upon cold startup (common issue for people but doesn't happen all the time, especially when you leave it for the dealer overnight for them to hear it)

Creaks and groans in the suspension and rattles all around in the interior

Lumbar adjustment doesn't stay put over time

I've already had the trunk hatch struts replaced because the whole hatch was shifting around.

There are aound 10 TSB's for my model year ('03) that have nothing to do with my problems and I think the first model year was '01. This is Acura I'm talking about, not Hyundai.

Theres more stuff that I can't think of right now but i can say that it does have a dead ringer of an engine and super sweet brakes and steering.

But how can you get leather, 6 speed, 8000 rpm engine, stiffer suspension, and bose 6 disc in-dash with subwoofer for a little over 22 grand with out cutting corners somewhere? It just sucks.

Once again thanks for the replies and listening to me go on and on. I still don't know what to do but I saw a black '04 wrx today with black wheels and slightly lowered and it looked damn sexy.

Re-Addicted to WRX tacomaboy138's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    wow glad i didn't consider that car...

SOA is fine to deal with if you are stock. If you have mods under the hood don't expect them to believe that your blown tranny isn't a result of hard driving for example...just common sense stuff.
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    07 MINI Cooper S... SOLD!
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Jeremy Clarkson has my dream job.

I Support ClubWRX
    Dealer service really seems to be dealer dependent. I see a lot of stories about dealerships trying to get out of things, but the dealerships around here seem to be top notch. I've yet to see a story of John Elway or Flatirons trying to get out of anything.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Leo

Smile

You should have gotten a WRX. . . . trade it off man. Suby will make you life easier. Don't take any offense but I spanked a type-S . . bad.... against my WRX. . . Just trade it off for a new Suby, I guarantee you, you'll be satisfied

Oh yeah, I know the wrx is quicker when I test drove one while ago, I mean it has like 75 more lbs of torque over my car. Thats why I didn't get it to begin with, I was driving a super slow civic at the time and I thought the wrx was way too much trouble but now that I'm used to the type-s I think I can handle it. I'm test driving another one tommorrow. I'm just nervous I'll have to replkace the turbo at 90,000 miles or something. Thanks dude.

Does anyone know the sizes of the speakers in the wrx? What about the sti hood scoop option, do you think it is worth it if the car is going to remain basically stock?

Re-Addicted to WRX tacomaboy138's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    well i would say that the larger hood scoop is mainly for looks, however, it will provide a greater flow of cold air to the intercooler [as it is a *functional* scoop]. Whether or not you will see performance gains from it is doubtful, but you never know [conditions permitting].
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    07 MINI Cooper S... SOLD!
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Jeremy Clarkson has my dream job.

"All I've seen from this forum is that the wrx eats a bit of oil and super cold starting is a concern. I'm thinking about taking a loss and trading it in for a wrx but I need something that will last and won't constantly drain my wallet down the road."

Don't buy a WRX ! It EATS MONEY like crazy...

Mods-mods-mods and more mods...it will never end.
    LOVE THE CAR THOUGH !

Originally posted by TGYBE
    "All I've seen from this forum is that the wrx eats a bit of oil and super cold starting is a concern. I'm thinking about taking a loss and trading it in for a wrx but I need something that will last and won't constantly drain my wallet down the road."

Don't buy a WRX ! It EATS MONEY like crazy...

Mods-mods-mods and more mods...it will never end.
    LOVE THE CAR THOUGH !

he's right... always having to gas from driving it so much drains your wallet... i've had my WRX for a month... and i've noticed that i've refilled atleast 2-3 times a week... i love driving it!

so in other words, thats my only complaint... it makes me want to drive more!

If you having money in your pocket, this is not the car for you. It will make you want to drive like Evil said. You'll be at a gas station frequently. I had to make up stuff to go out for so I could drive.

My Honduh history:

I had a 2000 Si that rattled the day I got it. They had to take the whole rear out to correct the problem. The tech said all kinds of ish was not correctly installed from the factory

My 2000 Odyssey had to go back 6 times for all kinds of recalls and door malfuntion problems.

Now my I just got a warranty extension for my 2001 Accord due to tranny issues. /rant

They are not getting my money again anytime soon.

Hey go for it! I've got a 95 GS-R and 04 WRX and I couldn't be happier with both my rides!

Peace Out

or you could always go for a toyota... those things never break...my dad bought an 81 back in... well 81.... stock everything except for a water pump problem and still runs pretty good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast