Oil Loss......
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Oil Loss...... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I changed my oil today and noticed i poured out 4 quarts when i changed my oil before i put ...

Oil Loss......

I changed my oil today and noticed i poured out 4 quarts
    when i changed my oil before i put in 5 quarts
    so i burned about 1 quart
    is this common....or do i have a problem
    i have been using mobil 1 5w30 and changed it after 4500 miles
    and i do alot of highway driving where my tach is always between 3 and 4k.
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    How do you know you burned 1 qt?

Assuming you did (nothing you've stated leads to that conclusion, but just for the sake of discussion) given your drain interval and the type of driving you describe, I don't see anything too extraordinary.

Your hypothetical use rate is about 750 ml per 3000 miles or less. This is about the same as mine with similar driving habits, but I use a less volatile oil with a narrower W spread (I use 10W-30 while you use the wider-spread 5W-30).

Going only from what you've posted, I strongly suspect you use even less oil than you've stated so far. Did you replenish the oil as you went along in the drain interval? Did you add a full 1 qt during that time?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

okay
    regardless how the oil disappears
    1 quart every 4500 miles is not bad
    i looked at some other posts.......and it seems like this is pretty normal
    does the turbo burn some oil to??
    i am still learning about this and how it works
    thanks for everyones help

I Support ClubWRX
    In and of itself the turbo shouldn't burn oil -- as in, the oil should not get past the turbo's seals. However, oil (as a slimy goo) in the plumbing to, say, the intercooler, does occur and is normal.

Other ways oil disapperas is through the rings (a little is normal, a lot is not), through leaks (none is normal) and because of its own volatility (a little is normal, a lot and the oil isn't suited for the application).

I've noticed that with a lot of highway driving between 3 and 4 K (and the closer you get to 4K...) my oil use goes up a bit. So, a 5 hour trip at fast highway speeds on cruise control will burn more oil over the same miles than going to work at lower speeds for a month etc. Maybe you're seeing the same pattern.

If you make a note of how much oil you added and at what mileage, and then check the oil every week or 500 miles or so, and keep a record of how much you add to stay at the same level on the dipstick, you may get a more consistent useage number. The problem with that is that the dipstick isn't always straightforward, and it's sometimes hard to get a true reading etc.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.