question about transmission fluid????

This is a discussion on question about transmission fluid???? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I checked the trans fluid in my STi and it was a bit low. So I went to the subie ...

question about transmission fluid????

I checked the trans fluid in my STi and it was a bit low. So I went to the subie dealer to pick some up along with some other stuff. Anyways I bring it home and am about to pour into the filler hole, when I realized that the stuff the parts guy gave me was a different color and smell to the fluid thats in there already. The bottle the parts guy gave me was subaru atf and power steering fluid and was red in color, but the oil already in the trans is tan or brownish in color.

I'm kinda apprehensive about putting the subaru atf in cuz of the difference in color and smell and the fact that the bottle has none of the ratings and specs on the oil, but the parts guy assured me that it was the rite oil for the trans(didn't even ask what car it was for). So my question is does subaru only have 1 type of transmission fluid(the atf and power steering one) for all their cars, or did the parts guy mess up and give me the wrong bottle?? If it is the right type then y the difference in color and smell?? Thanks ne input would be greatly appreciated

Wes

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think messed up and gave you the wrong bottle. Subaru says use 75W-90 GL5 gear oil in their manual trannies, not ATF.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

I Support ClubWRX
    You are right to be aprehensive. Take it back and bean the dude who sold it to you in the head with it while screaming "STis don't have f'n auto trannys, you stupid ugly maggot!!!!!!!!!!".

Or just tell them you need to exchange it.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

thanks for the help guys, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being paranoid before calling the parts dept.

neways I just called and the guy assumed that my car was an automatic so gave me the atf. I didn't make a fuss since its an honest mistake and the guy is cool with me helping me lookup parts and all. I just wonder what would've happened if I said the hell with it and put the atf in neways.

Gonna go tommorrow to get the gear oil, but they use some ford gear oil for their cars since its a lincoln, mercury, porsche, audi and subie dealer also. Should I demand the subaru oil or is the ford 80w-90(i think that was what he said) good enough. I just wonder tho, do they put the ford stuff into the porsches and audi's also.

Re: question about transmission fluid????

Originally posted by wewu
    I checked the trans fluid in my STi and it was a bit low. So I went to the subie dealer to pick some up along with some other stuff. Anyways I bring it home and am about to pour into the filler hole, when I realized that the stuff the parts guy gave me was a different color and smell to the fluid thats in there already. The bottle the parts guy gave me was subaru atf and power steering fluid and was red in color, but the oil already in the trans is tan or brownish in color.

I'm kinda apprehensive about putting the subaru atf in cuz of the difference in color and smell and the fact that the bottle has none of the ratings and specs on the oil, but the parts guy assured me that it was the rite oil for the trans(didn't even ask what car it was for). So my question is does subaru only have 1 type of transmission fluid(the atf and power steering one) for all their cars, or did the parts guy mess up and give me the wrong bottle?? If it is the right type then y the difference in color and smell?? Thanks ne input would be greatly appreciated

Wes
    Brought to you buy the same folks that deny warranty for.......

Abuse.

WTF?

Shotgun

Re: Re: question about transmission fluid????

Originally posted by ShotgunTC88
    Brought to you buy the same folks that deny warranty for.......

Abuse.

WTF?

Shotgun

GRR
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes