Dealer suggests not using Mobil 1
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Dealer suggests not using Mobil 1 within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was buying an airfilter from Wagner subaru, and was curious about an oilchange Because i am sick of spraying ...

Dealer suggests not using Mobil 1

I was buying an airfilter from Wagner subaru, and was curious about an oilchange Because i am sick of spraying myself and/or the driveway with motor oil.

Anyways i mention how Walmart has 5Q of mobil1 for 22 bucks. He told me that they dont recommend mobil 1 for subaru's and its not necessary... WTF... Oh well i think i can justify the mobil1 because honestly, im hard on my car... It experiences WOT at least once when I take it out for more than 15 min.

My car also seems smoother above 4k rpm after a fresh 5q of 5w-30 mobil 1.

Are we wrong?? or are they on crack?
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've been using Mobil-1 in my car since her first oil change.
    Dom
    03 Platinum Silver WRX

your dealer is drunk.

Does your dealer, perhaps, not use Mobil 1 when changing a customer's oil?

Use it. Just pick the correct viscosity and you'll be fine.
    02 WRX Sedan, Silver ("Bugeye")
    TXS Up-pipe, Turbo-back w/cat, Cobb AccessECU Stage 2.
    97 Legacy Outback, White
    Stock. Very stock.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yea. They're smokin' crack. Or black tar heroin. Or they're drunk. Or all three. He just wants to sell you oil.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Wagner Subaru is a really good and very mod friendly Subie dealer here in OH. I have dealt with them several times before and have had nothing but good work from them.

I change my OWN oil and never have let a dealer or JiffyLube-type place touch my WRX. I've consistently run 5W30 Mobil 1 in my car ever since (Now at 27k)

I know that most racing teams use Redline or Mobil 1 for engine oils. They are both good oils with the Redline being a bit better for cold startup protection. You can't go wrong with either of them!

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

i know... ive got 24kmiles and have been usin mobil 1 since 9k... i would change my own oil, but Im at UD, and have no 17mm allen wrench, no pan, and no filter wrench... and its cold out... and i dont like being spattered with hot oil because subaru put wayyyy to big of drainplug in this car... it goes everywhere

My car seems butter smooth with the good stuff...
    The dealer is cool or so i heard, they gave me a handful of drain plug washers at no charge when i bought my OEM oil filter

Mobil 1 is so good i almost want to drink it
    Last edited by MidnightFLAT4; 01-14-2004 at 04:44 PM.
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

So what's better?

5W30

or

10W30

I am using Mobile 1 too...and never had any problems. Runs like a champ!

03 MBP WRX Sedan

Heres the deal:

5W30 - Thinner cold start lubrication (thus the 5 rating) and good warm lubrication (thus the 30 rating)

10W30 - Thicker cold start lubrication (thus the 10 rating) and good warm lubrication (thus the 30 rating)

5W30 is going to give you the best gas mileage and best start up in the winter. 10W30 is good for a high mileage vehicle with 60-70k PLUS on it, or for high temp areas such as the SouthWest that are dry and unforgivingly hot.

Hope this helps, I always run 5W30.

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

Originally posted by apodWRX
    So what's better?

5W30

or

10W30

I am using Mobile 1 too...and never had any problems. Runs like a champ!
    depends on your climate. the colder you go, the lower you should go. in canada, you should be running no higher than 5W. i'd reccomend 0W.

in the more temperate zones, run 5-10 W. here in boston, it's gets real cold, so i run 5. in TX, i'd run 10W.

don't switch up the numbers. stick with the 1 you chose. if amarillo is in TX (it's the only one i know of) then run 10W

dR

Yes, this Amarillo is the one in Texas. The thing about Amarillo is that it can get Butt Ass Cold in the winter AND Butt Ass Hot in the sumnmer. I would not call this a temperate zone! (The other day it was as low as -2 but today it got as high as 60.

I have been running 10W30 Mobil 1 since 10K and I am at 30K now. I will stick with what I have, but I never knew what the main differences were.

Thanks everyone!

got my mobil1 lubejob and subaru filter installed for 11 bucks at a speedy/ monroe on wilmington pike/ Dorthy lane...

Car is runnin smoooooth at high RPM, almost as noticible as getting out of a mustang and getting in to a boxter... thats the last time i listen to wagner on oiling issues...

Oh, and the mobil 1 5qt jug ran me $19.86

Did you guys know or hear that mobil1 gave a 5.0 mustang 4 wheel horsepower...? Musclemustangs and fast fords (1998) cant remember month
    03 MBP WRX Sedan

I use M1 0W-40.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

I Support ClubWRX
    ditto. year round.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.