Dealer suggests not using Mobil 1 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Dealer suggests not using Mobil 1 within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I used Mobil 1 for 2 changes but stopped using it because of knocking noises heard at startup. I've been ...

I used Mobil 1 for 2 changes but stopped using it because of knocking noises heard at startup. I've been using Castrol synthetic blend 5/30 and have not had any more knocking at startup. Oil is fairly clean at the 3K change. Started using Castrol at 24K now at 35K on the car.
    '03 blaze yellow wagon-stock for now

Always interviewing for a Victoria's Secret fitting room attendant, but never getting hired.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Have you guys ever seen 5-qt jugs of 0w40? I want some of those.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

Originally posted by djrez4
    Have you guys ever seen 5-qt jugs of 0w40? I want some of those.
    Yeah, they used to sell them at Walmart, but I haven't seen them in a while. Now I have to buy it buy the qt.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Did you guys read this? It's from an Aussie Skyline Forum and was VERY informative on the 0-5-10 W oils. Everyone should read this to understand viscosity and oil flow properties!

http://forums.skylinesdownunder.co.n...threadid=18942

Another link on oils:
    http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbi...oil_bible.html

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

the reason the oil goes everywhere is because youre unscrewing the plug too fast.

17mm is not huge by any means.

Just get a Fumoto oil drain valve. You'll never have to worry about spraying oil again.

www.fumotovalve.com

they told you that beacause that way you go their for oil changes. Go to them, and say you want an oil change WITH mobil one and see what they say. We make the exception all the time.
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

I work for a used oil analysis laboratory....
    I wont say which oil co. b/c I don't want to make an official statement and get in trouble b/c someone takes it as a press release or anything...
    but...
    I have ran Mobil 1 in my WRX since 3K miles....
    I started off with 5w-30, but I switched up to 15w-50. Although now I think I may switch back to 5w-30 for winter months...it is really cold here during the winter, and really hot during summer, so I need to address both issues...

Many people don't understand oil ratings...so I will attempt to make a simple explanation...
    the first number in an oil rating such as 5 w -30 is the wieght of the oil when it is cold/below operating temps. This number can be important to smooth start-ups in cold climates, the lower the number is, the easier the oil pump has to work to lubricate the engine on start up, thus protecting the engine sooner at start-up, as heavy weight will cause the oil pump to work harder and the engine will be oil starved at first.
    The W in the rating actually stands for winter...meaning it is suitable for winter climates. Often people associate the W with weight.
    The second number such as 5w-30 is the wieght of the oil at operating temps. This number is what most people should pay attention to if they are concerned about hard driving styles/overall hot running engines. Also note that higher weight oils at operating temps will affect gas consumption.

Oh, and just to note, I myself didn't know a ton about oil before working here at the lab. Now that I have seen real results from many application, I am a strong believer of Mobil 1. This is my own personal observation, nothing more. Mobil 1 will outlast just about any oil filter, and that is one of the main reasons for having to change the oil, not the degredation of quality(or lack of) of the oil itself.The oil filter and air filter are the two main reasons for having to change the oil.

If you have questions, I will answer what I can to the best of my ability, but I don't claim to be an expert, just an observer/user.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12