I need help/advice badly
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on I need help/advice badly within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a engine problem that just developed. I need some expert advice please. I went to work(2pm and 20 ...

Exclamation I need help/advice badly

I have a engine problem that just developed. I need some expert advice please. I went to work(2pm and 20 degrees out) and all was cool. Went to leave work at 2 a.m today and battery would barely crank engine. It was 4 degrees out. I got car jumped and when it fired up there was a loud constant metal + vacuum sound. I immediately shut car off then started it back up. Same thing. When I gave it gas it was really ruff and fuel smell was very strong followed by blue smoke coming from under the front of car. Smelled like fuel heavily. The smoke(blue) got extremely bad and the sounds I described stayed constant even when I revved it. I don't believe it to be an uppipe leak and the car was not warm enough to be burning any fuel.(i.e-like a leaky fuel line dripping gas on something hot). I had to leave the car and get a ride home leaving the car many miles away. I am going to go back up(an hour away) to the car later today in the light and check it out further. Can someone tell me where to look to check the freeze plugs(worse case scenario). I will check basics. Uppipe for leak but it has been on car for 20kmi w/no leaks . And I will check fuel lines and injectors.(STi injectors stock rail). I have had this car for 2 yrs w/none of the fuel line problems other 02 owners come across. There was no liquids under car. The sound it was making doesn't seem to be the"screaming banshee" sound others describe as an uppipe leak. I'm afraid something cracked in this cold weather. What I don't know is what else to check.
    Experts, please help me trouble shoot this. I will have to have car towed back home but will first try and spot the problem where it sits if possible. Not going above 16 degrees today.
    Mods are a VF30,STi injectors(stock rail) and full catless exhaust. Been this way for over 10kmi. Has been below freezing for the past week, but not as cold as tonight(last night but I haven't slept yet).

HELP

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: I need help/advice badly

Originally posted by neverendingmods
    Went to leave work at 2 a.m today and battery would barely crank engine. It was 4 degrees out. I got car jumped and when it fired up there was a loud constant metal + vacuum sound. I immediately shut car off then started it back up.

Same thing. When I gave it gas it was really ruff and fuel smell was very strong followed by blue smoke coming from under the front of car. Smelled like fuel heavily. The smoke(blue) got extremely bad and the sounds I described stayed constant even when I revved it. I don't believe it to be an uppipe leak and the car was not warm enough to be burning any fuel.(i.e-like a leaky fuel line dripping gas on something hot).

I had to leave the car and get a ride home leaving the car many miles away. I am going to go back up(an hour away) to the car later today in the light and check it out further. Can someone tell me where to look to check the freeze plugs(worse case scenario). I will check basics.

Uppipe for leak but it has been on car for 20kmi w/no leaks . And I will check fuel lines and injectors.(STi injectors stock rail). I have had this car for 2 yrs w/none of the fuel line problems other 02 owners come across. There was no liquids under car.

Mods are a VF30,STi injectors(stock rail) and full catless exhaust. Been this way for over 10kmi. Has been below freezing for the past week, but not as cold as tonight(last night but I haven't slept yet).

HELP

Sounds like turbo death whine to me. My best guess is that it was so cold when you started the car that the VF30's center cartridge was receiving no oil. What is the oil level in the car? Oil pressure in the engine? EGTs?

Pull the turbo compressor inlet hose and check for shaft play. I will give a very good deal on a VF34 with a ball bearing center cartridge and take the blown VF30 off of your hands, if this is the case.

-Jim

I'll check the shaft play when I go back up. I have no gauges other than boost(stupid I know). I use mobil1 5-w30 but I'm sure that means nothing. The first 5 second I attributed the fuel smell to me trying to get car started when battery was low. Don't know for sure but tried cranking 5 times w/ 5 second rule. Some oil should have reached the turbo by then(God I hope). The sound never changed at all. I started it up at first for about 10 seconds(the time it tokk me to jump out, look at engine, jump back in and shut it off) Then did it 2 more times. Do you really belive this could be the problem. Ever hear of a VF30 or any other turbo doing this in the cold before.

Thanks

Unhappy

Could a cracked or frozen injector o-ring be a possibility. You got me really scared this 5 month old turbo went because of the cold weather. Oh, oil level is full and 2kmi on it.

Jim at PPM is the man

Jim you were right about the oil not reaching turbo. Had car towed home, looked everything over, topped rad. and oil levels. Fired it up and not a sound. Good amount of gas smelling blue smoke but no metal bearing sound. The smoke and smell went away after warmup. Man I'm sure that grinding of the cartridge took some life from the turbo. Who would of known you can't drive a VF30 below 10degrees. Atleast I can't anyway.

PPM will get my money when it's time to go to VF34. Any chance Jim you can get ahold of a oil primer system aswell? Better to be safe. Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.