Rear differential lubricant

This is a discussion on Rear differential lubricant within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Does the rear differential on the WRX-MT need any limited-slip additives? There's no mention of this that I can find, ...

Rear differential lubricant

Does the rear differential on the WRX-MT need any limited-slip additives? There's no mention of this that I can find, but my Corvette required this stuff for proper functioning of its' LSD, and since this is a LSD......?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

According to Cobb, you should use a 75W90 oil without friction additives. IIRC, the viscous LSD is sealed, the only thing the oil does is lubricate the ring and pinion gears.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

You use EXACTLY the same gear oil as you use in the transmission. It's all in the owner's manual, man.

-Jim

Originally posted by PPMotorsports
    You use EXACTLY the same gear oil as you use in the transmission. It's all in the owner's manual, man.

-Jim
    This is correct. I'd shy away from the synthetics. i stick w/ the old school lube, and i've yet to have a problem.

dR

I have tried a number of different synthetic gear lubes with limited success (read; most are really awful).

The stock gear lube is pretty good stuff. I believe the Redline Synthetic, HD, is superior to anything else I've used.

Originally posted by MisterX

The stock gear lube is pretty good stuff. I believe the Redline Synthetic, HD, is superior to anything else I've used.
    i've heard good things about redline as well.

dR

I changed it to Mobil 1 synthetic (both trans and diff) at 20K miles about a month ago. I haven't noticed any changes.

Thumbs up

I used Redline MT-90 in my 5 speed transmission in my dearly departed RX-7. I loved that stuff. Shifting was made so much easier. As for the differential, I used the standard Redline 75W90. It seemed to quiet the rear down a little bit. Then again, the engine and exhaust were a little louder than normal. When it's time for a tranny fluid change and differential fluid change, I am going to Redline again. I had Redline's Water Wetter in my cooling system. I doubt I'll need that up here in the NE. You can't go wrong with their synthetic engine oil either. A little on the pricey side, but how much are the parts on your car worth to you?

P.S. Redline is not what killed my RX - damn o-rings failed.
    "People who believe they are acting with the mandate of God, who see others who don't share their beliefs as inferior in the eyes of God, make dangerous leaders. Just ask Osama Bin Laden." - Ron Reagan Jr.